Beach Tour Assistant Coordinator
Supervisor’s Title: Kelvin Cheng, Operations Lead
Position Level: Full-time seasonal contract
Contract Term: May 15, 2023 to August 20, 2023
Compensation: $125/per day in office and set up, $250/tournament day
Work week: 37.5 hours per week (modified work week)
Closing Date: Until Filled
ONTARIO VOLLEYBALL ASSOCIATION
The Ontario Volleyball Association (OVA) is a non-profit member-based provincial sports organization where dedicated volunteers and professional staff provide leadership in the growth and development of indoor, beach and sitting volleyball for all Ontarians.
It is our vision to be recognized as a leading sport organization in Canada. To that end, the OVA works with its partners to support athletes through excellent customer service and by offering inclusive programming on a foundation of physical literacy for all ages and abilities. The OVA will provide athletes with quality opportunities for meaningful competition and will support coaches and officials with professional development opportunities.
The OVA Beach Tour is the leading beach volleyball tour in Canada. We are looking for vibrant, hard-working individuals who are keen to assist in the delivery of the OVA Beach Tour.
The Ontario Volleyball Association has the following job opportunity available (subject to government funding approval) to all young people aged 15 to 30. The duration of the position is from May to August 2023. Canada Summer Jobs is a government sponsored employment program. The OVA welcomes applications from qualified priority applicants (i.e. students who are members of a visible minority, aboriginal students, newcomers to Canada or students with disabilities).
Between May and August, the OVA hosts 14 weekend beach tournaments throughout Ontario including Ontario Championships & Nationals. The Beach Tour Assistant Coordinator will split their time between the office and the beach to ensure the OVA Beach Tour runs smoothly.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
• Lead in the organization, management and delivery of Beach Tour competitions including:
o Develop schedules and team seedings
o Create tournament scoresheets
o Verify, record and post results online
o Ensure setup of event onsite (will involve physical labour)
o Manage social media onsite at events
o Book medical staff/athletic therapists
o Schedule security and review all equipment is present on site
o Arrange and organize prizing for tournament winners
o Manage OVA Beach Crew staff members at all tour stops
o Liaise with facility staff onsite
• In conjunction with Operations Lead, manage and adhere to annual OVA Beach Handbook
• Communicate and work with tournament venue hosts
Qualifications & Desired Requirements:
• Currently enrolled in a post-secondary program in sport management or similar program
• Able to work Wednesdays to Sundays each week (2 days in office, 3 days on the beach)
• Previous experience with running large scale volleyball tournaments an asset
• Reliable, self-motivated, hard-working individual
• Willing to work in various weather conditions (rain, wind, sun)
• Familiar with tournament scheduling and logistics
• High attention to detail, adaptability and strong problem-solving skills
• Ability and willingness to work independently or as a part of a team
• Strong public speaking ability
• Ability to lift up to 50lbs
The incumbent must also demonstrate the following personal attributes that reflect the OVA’s Organizational Standards:
Foster an inclusive community.
Treat all people with dignity and kindness.
Act with integrity in all that we do.
Utilize collaboration to meet our common purpose.
Embrace innovation with bold creativity.
Challenge excellence and continuous learning, always.