Executive Assistant (Internship) - Hockey Northwestern Ontario
Post date: Nov. 6, 2019
Application Deadline: Nov. 25, 2019
Position Start Date: Jan. 7, 2020
Hockey Northwestern Ontario (HNO) is one of thirteen member Branches of Hockey Canada and one of three in Ontario (Ontario Hockey Federation, Hockey Eastern Ontario). HNO is directly responsible for governing Minor, Junior and Senior Hockey from the Manitoba Border to the 85th meridian (White River). The origins of the association date back to the Twin Cities Amateur Hockey League and the Thunder Bay Amateur Hockey League with the Thunder Bay Amateur Hockey Association (TBAHA) forming in 1915, TBAHA became a member Branch of Hockey Canada in 1918. In 1970, the Branch was divided into three zones; East of Thunder Bay, Thunder Bay (Central) and West of Thunder Bay, which still exist today. In 1984 the branch opened its first office on East Victoria Avenue in Thunder Bay. In 1999 the association changed its name to Hockey Northwestern Ontario (HNO) to better reflect the geographical area it serves.
To be the sport of choice in Northwestern Ontario, providing an atmosphere for everyone to achieve their goals.
Lead, Promote, and Encourage Positive Hockey Experiences
The Executive Assistant shall be responsible for assisting the Executive Director with the day-to-day operations of the organization. This individual shall be responsible to the Executive Director.
Position Key Responsibilities
• Interpret and communicate by-laws, regulations and policy changes for membership
• Assist in vetting of coaches to ensure training and certification requirements are met
• Responsible for marketing including social media, website, and marketing planning
• Assist in duties pertaining to the organization’s registrar with Hockey Canada including player transfers and team approvals
• Assist in coordinating the planning and execution of committees, director and annual meetings including logistics, travel, food and beverage
• Develop and present reports on operations for directors and the annual meeting
• Assist in planning, promoting, and executing Branch Championships, Special Events, and the AA Tournament of Champions
• Develop project charters and project management plans for new initiatives and programs (i.e. Junior Coach Program)
• Assist in any other matter as prescribed by the HNO Executive Director
Qualifications and Competencies
• Competent in creating project charters and project management plans
• Competent in social media and other media platforms
• Experience working in a non-profit considered an asset
• Experience working with volunteers
• Strong communication and presentation skills
• Background in Sport Administration or Business-related field
• Knowledge of Hockey Canada
• Demonstrate a high level of proficiency with Microsoft Office Programs
• Strong organizational and time management skills, ability to balance conflicting priorities
• High level of integrity; earns other’s trust and respect through consistent honesty and professionalism in all interactions
• Highly motivated individual that seeks to take initiative with innovative ideas
• Post-Secondary Institute diploma or degree.
o Sport Business or Sport Management preferred.
Qualified Candidates are invited to submit their resume and cover letter to availlant@hockeyhno.