Post date: Aug. 7, 2019
Application Deadline: Aug. 23, 2019
viaSport is a non-profit organization that believes in the power of sport to impact communities and lives across British Columbia. We support amateur sport organizations in B.C. to create experiences that are safe, inclusive and meaningful through our work in social innovation, research, fund management and capacity building.
As a small and passionate team located in downtown Vancouver with an operating budget of approximately $2M, we are dedicated to scaling the impact of sport in the province and beyond. As a key driver of this important work, our communications team is currently recruiting an early-career individual to help deliver our creative and strategic vision.
viaSport is looking to hire a novice communicator who’s spent a season or two in the pros to join our roster on a one-year contract. With coaching from the communications team, you’ll hone your creative playmaking abilities and expand your strategic playbook. You’ll also generate (and report on) impressive stats as a reliable, valued member of the team.
As the Communications Coordinator, you will provide ongoing support and creative advice across the organization, executing daily tasks and helping to develop and manage strategic projects. With prior insight into the communications and marketing continuum, you’ll effectively utilize traditional approaches while incorporating up-to the-minute best practices.
- Oversee and/or support the communications team in creating various materials including communication plans, key messages, reports, letters, speaking notes and speeches, news releases, articles, factsheets, presentations and other communications and digital media assets as required
- Prepare and disseminate stakeholder email communications including newsletters and surveys
- Perform regular website and social media updates
- Maintain media and stakeholder contact lists
- Deliver consistent reports using a variety of tools (e.g., website analytics, media mentions)
- Act as a brand champion, ensuring consistency and accuracy across all internal and external communications and events
- Support the grant management process in administration and communication
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE
An equivalent combination of the following education and experience will be considered:
- Undergraduate degree in communications, marketing or other relevant discipline, or an equivalent combination of education, training and expertise
- Up to two years of combined experience in marketing and communications
- Experience contributing to, creating and executing communications strategies
- Professional level experience working in Microsoft Office and Adobe Acrobat; working knowledge of the Adobe Creative Suite
- Understanding of social/digital media strategy and evaluation
Extra points for:
- Experience with multimedia communications including graphic design, video and podcast production
If you’re with us to this point, you’re likely someone who believes in the power of sport to bring about positive social change and personal growth. In addition to this essential prerequisite, we’re looking for someone who:
- Excels at written and oral communication, demonstrating eagle eye editing skills in English usage, spelling, grammar and punctuation
- Is known for being organized and deadline-driven
- Has a penchant for gathering and reporting on data and analytics
- Has a natural openness to learning and isn’t too proud to seek help when it’s needed
- Plays well with a team, but can also set and attain individual goals
- Displays a customer service attitude
- Consistently exercises discretion and strategic thinking around complex subject matter
- Appreciates humour, trivia and good snacks
If you’re eager to contribute to a collaborative team doing meaningful work, tell us why we should have an initial conversation. In your cover letter, let us know how this role fits with your background and goals for growth, as well as your salary expectations.
To apply, please submit your cover letter and resumé by August 23, 2019 at 11:59 pm PT.
Link to apply: https://viasport.formstack.com/forms/employmentapplication
viaSport is an equal opportunity employer. We offer extended health benefits and a flexible work environment. A Criminal Record Check will be required.
We wish to thank all applicants for their interest; however only those invited to interview will be contacted.
Type of Position: Contractor
Employment Type: Employee