Director-At-Large - CAAWS
Post date: Jul. 4, 2019
Application Deadline: Jul. 31, 2019
Position Start Date: Sep. 17, 2019
CAAWS Board of Directors Deadline for Expressions of Interest – July 31, 2019
The Canadian Association for the Advancement of Women and Sport and Physical Activity (CAAWS) is looking for dynamic and skilled leaders to join our Board of Directors. CAAWS is seeking nominations for individuals to fill two positions to be elected to the CAAWS Board of Directors at the 2019 Annual General Meeting on September 17, 2019.
CAAWS is a Multisport Service Organization and the only national, non-profit organization focusing exclusively on women and sport in Canada. We aspire to achieve equity for women in society through the power of sport.
CAAWS is dedicated to creating an equitable and inclusive Canadian sport and physical activity system that empowers girls and women—as active participants and leaders—within and through sport. With a focus on systemic change, we partner with governments, organizations and leaders to challenge the status quo and to advance solutions that result in measurable change.
The current CAAWS Board consists of:
Nathalie Cook, Chair
Tanya Mruck, Vice-Chair
Althea Arsenault, Director-at-Large
Cheri Bradish, Director-at-Large
Bill Cooper, Director-at-Large
Deidra Dionne, Director-at-Large
Rochelle Grayson, Director-at-Large
Leanne Nicolle, Director-at-Large
Rebecca Shanks, Director-at-Large
The following terms expire as of September 17, 2019:
- Director-at-Large, Rebecca Shanks
- Director-at-Large, Cheri Bradish
The Nominations Committee is seeking candidates for two Director at Large positions with any combination of the following competencies:
- Sport systems knowledge, with preference for Provincial/Territorial and/or local sport leadership experience
- Revenue generation expertise
- Government relations experience
- Bilingual (French – English)
- Geographical representation across Canada, with particular interest in Quebec, the Prairies, and Northern Canada (Territories).
- Reflecting our commitment to equity and diversity, we encourage individuals belonging to the following groups to self-declare when submitting your statement of interest:
- Indigenous peoples (First Nation - includes Status, Treaty or Non-Status, Metis and Inuit)
- Visible minorities (includes people (other than Indigenous) who are non-white regardless of place of birth, e.g. Black, Chinese, Filipino, Asian, Latin American, other, etc.)
- Individuals with a Disability (a visible or non-visible long-term or recurring physical, mental, psychiatric, sensory or learning impairment, which limits the quantity or type of work you can do in the workplace or which may be perceived as a limitation.)
- LGBTQI2S+ individuals
Term Limits and Responsibilities:
Board terms are for two years with a maximum of three consecutive terms. Meetings are held quarterly including one to two face-to-face meetings (1 day) in Toronto and two to three conference calls (2 hours).
Board member responsibilities include:
- guidance and leadership to the CEO and staff as they implement the strategic and operational plans;
- participation in committees such as the revenue generation, marketing and communications, and finance committees;
- reviewing agenda and supporting materials prior to board and committee meetings;
- approving annual budget and audit reports;
- contributing to the CEO annual evaluation;
- representing CAAWS to stakeholders and acting as an ambassador to the organization.
Individuals of any gender who are 18 years of age or older, have the power under law to contract, who are not an employee or paid contractor of CAAWS, and have an interest/passion for creating participation and leadership opportunities for girls and women in sport and physical activity may be nominated.
July 4, 2019 Call for Candidates
July 31, 2019 Close of Call for Candidates
August 27, 2019 Confirmed nominations provided to the CAAWS Membership
September 10-16, 2019 Voting by the Membership
September 17, 2019 Newly elected Directors introduced at Annual General Meeting
If you meet these requirements, offer our desired key competencies, and are interested in contributing your expertise to our dynamic and growing organization, please send a resume and statement of interest by July 31st, 2019 to Cheri Bradish, Chair CAAWS Nominating Committee, c/o Allison Sandmeyer-Graves at firstname.lastname@example.org. Inquiries for additional information about the CAAWS Board of Directors should be directed to Allison Sandmeyer-Graves at email@example.com.
For more information, please visit the following pages: