Manager, Facilities and Events - Wilfrid Laurier University
Post date: Jun. 5, 2019
Application Deadline: Jun. 13, 2019
Wilfrid Laurier University is a leading multi-campus, university known for academic excellence and a culture that inspires lives of leadership and purpose. Laurier has a distinct commitment to teaching, research, experiential learning, sustainability and scholarship, which combine to address critical challenges in society, business, the economy and the environment – globally and in the communities we serve. At Laurier’s heart is its strong student focus, which results in exceptional levels of student satisfaction and a deep sense of community that lives on through the university’s highly engaged alumni.
Laurier takes pride in building meaningful relationships with colleagues and students. The Laurier community supports one another, encourages collaboration and teamwork and respects work/life balance, all while recognizing the importance of a challenging, rewarding and inspiring career. Laurier has more than 19,000 students and 2,100 faculty and staff across campuses in Waterloo and Brantford, as well as locations in Kitchener and Toronto.
Diversity is one of Laurier’s core values. The university is committed to providing an inclusive workplace and employing a workforce that is reflective of local and national demographics. Our locations are situated on the traditional territories of the Neutral, Anishnawbe, and Haudenosaunee peoples. We recognize the unique heritages of Indigenous peoples and support their intentions to preserve and express their distinctive Indigenous cultures, histories, and knowledge through academic programming and co-curricular activities. Laurier’s Centre for Indigegogy is one example of how Laurier honours Indigenous knowledge.
We currently have an opportunity to join the Laurier community as a Manager, Facilities and Events.
Responsibilities of the Manager, Facilities and Events include all aspects of the coordination of athletic and recreational facilities serving both University and external community.
These functions will include the management and implementation of all operational needs associated with programming; the maintenance of all athletics and recreation facilities, fields and equipment; management and leadership of staff and student employees; financial responsibilities including budget management; adherence to established safety policies and procedures and formulation and/or adaptation of new risk management policies when appropriate.
This position is the primary liaison for Athletics and Recreation with Facilities and Asset Management (FAM) in keeping the University’s athletic facilities occupied at high utilization rates.
Management and Leadership
- Provide staffing leadership for the Facilities unit, instilling a culture of customer service and support aligned with the mission, vision and priorities of Athletics and Recreation.
- Supervision including the hiring, training, scheduling, mentoring and ongoing evaluation of their direct reports
- Assess staff training and development needs, and ensure that employees receive training required to improve and sustain successful performance.
- Manage performance by establishing performance standards, reviewing and evaluating performance and conducting formal performance reviews on an ongoing basis.
- Oversight management of a student-leadership team responsible for the day-to-day operations of the facilities including the hiring, training and supervision with the support of the Coordinator(s) Facilities, Game Day Operations, and Bookings and Financial Assistant. University students make up the front line staff that operate when the building is in operation.
- Work with the Coordinator: Web and Technology to support front line staff with procedures, training and policies for facilities operation software (our customer service software for membership management, scheduling, registrations, equipment rental and sales).
- Support part-time and full-time employee development in order to constantly update and implement best practices in facility management.
- Work with Associate Director, Business Operations in budget development and/or provide recommendations for annual operating budget of $850,000 in expenses and over $300,000 in revenue targets
- Responsible for budget development, facility annual and deferred maintenance schedules, major equipment acquisition and assignment of work to external contractors. Participates in capital investment, renewal and expenditure planning.
- Provide recommendations for facility repairs, preventative maintenance and improvements; annual capital renewal budget of $140,000 pursuing the renewal of spaces and equipment within the facilities
- Work with the Facilities Coordinator on the procurement of consumable equipment and/or services to support the facility operations
- Planning for fixed equipment throughout facilities including and not limited to nets, washers, dryers, score-clocks, motor vehicles, lane ropes, portable basketball nets, tents and climbing belay equipment
- Establish, provide leadership and evaluate athletic and recreational facility operating procedures to ensure standards and customer and student satisfaction are met and align to the mission, vision and value
- Develop and update facility standard operations procedures (SOPs) and facility optimization schedules. Responsible for developing and reviewing policies and procedures related to facilities. Liaise with a broad cross-section of constituents to ensure that the facilities are operated in an effective, safe and efficient manner. Recommend and implement changes to policy and procedures in order to adapt to new practices and procedures at the University.
- In collaboration with Associate Director, Business Operations, develop short and long-range plans for Athletics and Recreation space development, facility renewal and replacement that ensure and provide for continuity of programs and services (working 5 to 10 years out). This includes restoration of indoor and outdoor facilities, operation and maintenance, information technology, budget preparation, major equipment acquisition, tracking assets and inventory, managing renovations and deferred maintenance schedules, making recommendations on strategic facility management, operations and maintenance schedules.
- Provide feedback on program and event success with appropriate internal or external stakeholders.
- Work with Facilities Asset Management leadership to identify, schedule and execute preventative maintenance and work requests for department facilities, fields and equipment
- With the Coordinator(s), Web and Technology, Facilities and Bookings and Finance assistant to enforce usage policies aligning to sport and recreation model maximizing opportunities for the campus population and limiting facility idle time and underutilization of spaces
- In collaboration with the Associate Director, Business Operations, provide strategic leadership to secure facility bookings and events to achieve revenue targets.
- Manage relationships with external partnerships, community groups and internal stakeholders. Liaise with external partners and customers regarding Athletics and Recreation facility use; promote, sell and approve major events reservations/contracts utilizing Athletics and Recreation facilities.
- Supervise support of logistical needs (including working with internal and external stakeholders) for special events within the athletic facilities with Coordinator(s) Facilities, Game Day Operations, and Finance and Bookings assistant.
- Ensure all league mandates and sport specific rule/regulations are met for setup.
Risk Management and Emergency Planning
- Oversee all facilities risk management functions for athletic and recreation operations, including high risk areas like aquatics, and rock climbing.
- Interpret, review and assist in the development of safety policies and risk mitigation in order to provide a safe environment for all participants
- Confirm inspections of all applicable facilities and equipment (pool, nets, curtains, walls and bleachers) are completed and any adverse results are addressed
- Confirm inspections of first aid equipment (first-aid kits, defibulators) are completed and any adverse results are addressed
- Develop and maintain Emergency Action Plans for day-to-day operations as well as large scale events. Work with staff to communicate and execute with customers.
- With facilities team, provide Health and Safety communication boards with messaging from Safety Office in high traffic staff areas in each of the Athletic and Recreation buildings
Planning and Project Management
- Manage ongoing projects related to all aspects of the University's athletic and recreation facilities, in collaboration with Facilities and Asset Management, this many include renovations, expansions, and maintenance projects.
- Initiate and develop new projects and initiatives in order to keep University athletic and recreation facilities current and aligned with expectations of our fee paying users
- Work with partners on campus to determine appropriate timelines to schedule and manage budgets for facility projects
- Develop schedules to optimize downtime including the use of weekends and evenings
- Other duties as assigned by the Associate Direct, Business Operations.
Deferred Maintenance and Replacement of Capital
- Develop and manage the department’s deferred maintenance list looking to proactively manage the lifespans of equipment and facilities including but not limited to floor surfaces (hardwood and turf), audio equipment, video cameras, lighting, laundry equipment, televisions, outdoor field vehicles, bleachers, lockers and climbing wall structure and mats.
- Bachelor’s degree required, or equivalent combination of education and experience. Master’s degree preferred
- 5 years of progressively responsible experience in a facility management role, including demonstrated responsibility for the management of athletics and recreation facilities
- Previous experience with risk management in athletics and recreation environments
- Demonstrated experience managing facilities project, including renewal and maintenance projects
- Ability to think strategically and communicate long term priorities to the operations and construction groups.
- Strong analytical, problem-solving and negotiating skills with the ability to influence others.
- Strong computer aptitude and capabilities to learn new applications.
- Capacity to work under pressure and to embrace change.
- Strong customer service aptitude.
- Capacity to build consensus and influence direction and outcomes.
- A knowledge base of athletic programs at the community to post-secondary level.
- Demonstrated experience in managing teams of full-time staff
- Experience in a higher education environment is preferred
- Working knowledge of industry standards and best practices relating to facilities and equipment management in athletics and recreation
- Excellent interpersonal and customer service skills, including exemplary poise, tact and diplomacy
- Computer proficiency, particularly in Microsoft Office Suite, Google Suits, as well as general scheduling software
- Ability to learn and apply new information and technical skills
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment with demonstrated ability to juggle multiple competing tasks and demands
- Excellent organizational skills, including exceptional follow-up and follow-through skills as well as ability to plan, organize and execute projects to completion
- Ability to work as part of a team
- Ability to gather and analyze information and make workable recommendations in a timely manner
- Standard First Aid and CPR-C required
- The position is responsible for being in attendance for high attended events and as such may see disruption to personal life as athletic events can take place on evenings and weekends