Swimming Biomechanist - Swim Ontario
Post date: Jun. 10, 2019
Application Deadline: Jun. 17, 2019
Title: Swimming Biomechanist
Reports To: Head Coach, Ontario Swim Academy (OSA)
Collaborates with: Lead Biomechanist, Swimming High Performance Center – Ontario (HPCO)
Location: Toronto Pan Am Sport Centre
Contract Duration: 8 months, Fixed Term – (Maternity Leave Replacement)
September 1, 2019 through April 30, 2020
The purpose of this role is to conduct specific biomechanics research projects and to provide world-class service to targeted Swim Ontario Athletes and programs. Duties include working closely with coaching staff and administration of the Ontario Swimming Academy and Swim Ontario provincial programs.
The successful candidate will have strong communication skills, written and verbal and the positive experience of working and contributing in a team environment. As well the ability to learn and implement current methods in place by the Swim Ontario sport science team. This includes equipment and software for the analysis and diagnosis of technical performance. The Biomechanist will collaborate with the Integrated Support Team (IST) in order to achieve a holistic approach to athlete development.
• In collaboration with the Head Coach OSA and the Lead Biomechanist HPCO:
deliver upon the objectives and timelines outlined,
participate in related data collection,
conduct a detailed biomechanical analysis of the collected data including but not limited to, conducting statistical analyses, writing/delivering reports, etc.,
communicate key findings on a rolling basis to the Head Coach and IST of the OSA and the Lead Biomechanist HPCO, and,
Complete progress reports as required by Swim Ontario.
• In collaboration with the coaching staff, develop and deliver world-class biomechanics and performance analysis support in the OSA daily training environment.
• Attend and provide performance analysis support at identified competitions.
• Use objective data and information to influence and impact performance decisions and enhance knowledge.
• Evaluate current research to broaden knowledge of swimming as well as general knowledge of trends and findings in the discipline of sport biomechanics.
• Foster effective working relationships with the OSA coaches, IST and administration.
• Provide comprehensive feedback (presentations, publications, reports) of results and interpretation to athletes and coaches.
• Collaborate and communicate effectively with the OSA Head Coach and IST to provide a holistic approach to athlete performance.
• Attend and contribute to OSA IST meetings.