Senior Director, CBC Sports (English Services) - TOR06468 - CBC/Radio-Canada
Post date: Jun. 12, 2018
Application Deadline: Jul. 11, 2018
Senior Director, CBC Sports (English Services) - TOR06468
Job Family: Programming (TV-Radio-Web)
Primary Location: Toronto
Status of Employment: Permanent, Full-time
What it’s like working at CBC/Radio-Canada
At CBC/Radio-Canada, we create content that informs, entertains and connects Canadians on multiple platforms. Our successes and accomplishments are driven by embodying and upholding values, which include creativity, integrity, inclusiveness and relevance.
Do you think you have the ability and drive to keep up with this exciting, ever-changing industry? Whether it be in front of the camera, on air, online or behind the scenes, you would be joining a team that thrives on making connections and telling stories that are important to Canadians.
Reporting to the Executive Director, CBC Sports & General Manager, Olympics, as the Senior Director, CBC Sports, you will work collaboratively with key internal stakeholders, but also many external stakeholders throughout high performance sport and the Olympic Games.
The Senior Director is an important member of the Senior Leadership Team within CBC Sports, and will align with the department’s new sport strategy, growing high performance sport across Canada, and helping ensure CBC continues to be successful as Canada’s Olympic and Paralympic Network. As such, you will be a key member of the Sports team and will have responsibilities for numerous aspects of the business of sports at CBC on all platforms. Related activities include rights negotiation and management, business development and partnerships, brand growth, financial planning and reporting. In this role as the Senior Director, you will also set goals, create and direct strategies for the acquisition of media rights, including major sport properties, as well as build relationships with national and international organizations.
- Revenue Generation, Business & Financial Planning - Identify innovative revenue generation opportunities and potential partners. Help lead in building relationships and mutually beneficial plans for successful business and financial outcomes.
- Leadership – Take a lead responsibility for key files for Sports including handling and resolution of day-to-day issues as required. Preside over departmental messaging and positive and effective relationship with management, staff, internal and external stakeholders. Ensure staff are engaged and aligned with departmental service and objectives.
- Business Planning – Develop comprehensive fact based business plans for the acquisition of media rights and sports properties for exploitation by all relevant content areas, with input for all key stakeholders for approval of Senior Management Team and Executive Director, CBC Sports.
- Negotiations – Lead and conduct complicated agreements with external organizations from around the world to enhance the mandate of the CBC, including utilization, brand reputation, engagement and positive financial outcomes.
- Stewardship of Business Relationships – Preside over the operationalization (often very complex) of the multi-genre and disciplinary exploitation of media rights agreements.
- Coordination & Networking – Ensure the varied activities of Sports are co-ordinated and that appropriate linkages are made both within the department and with other areas of the CBC. Establish and maintain effective relationships with key counterparts in other Operational and Content departments as well as other members of the Executive Director’s Senior Leadership Team, ensuring effective communication with this group.
We are looking for a candidate with the following:
- Minimum of 10 years’ experience in media, entertainment and/or sports management.
- Knowledge and experience of the global sports media rights environment.
- Knowledge of and experience in business and financial planning.
- Thorough understanding of implications of technology for media production and potential future directions.
- Ability to operate in a complex and ever-changing environment with flexibility and creativity.
- Superior verbal and written communication skills, including ability to present to large and often senior groups.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills.
- Ability to travel domestically and internationally. Position may include periods of significant work hours over an extended period of time, particularly while working on very high profile events.
Candidates may be subject to skills and knowledge testing.
CBC/Radio-Canada is committed to being a leader in reflecting our country’s diversity. That’s because we can only create and tell the stories that connect Canadians, by having a workforce that mirrors the ever-changing makeup of our country. That’s why we, as an employer, value equal opportunity and nurture an inclusive workplace where our individual differences are not only recognized and valued, but also extend to and pervade all the services we provide as Canada’s public broadcaster. For more information, visit the Talent and Diversity section of our website. If you have accommodation needs at this stage of the recruitment process, please inform us as soon as possible by sending an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org
If this sounds interesting, please apply online! We thank all applicants for their interest, but only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
You are invited to consult and familiarize yourself with our Code of Conduct, which can be found on our corporate website. All employees must adhere to the Code as a condition of employment. We also invite you to take a look at our policy on conflicts of interest. In the event that you become an employee, it will be important to inform us, as quickly as possible, of any situation that, because of your hiring, constitutes or could appear to constitute a conflict of interest.
Please apply online at: https://rita.illicohodes.com/go/5b19782fcf31762d0922559b/5aba58856c13375261da4aa9/en