Program Manager - Lay-Up Youth Basketball
Post date: Apr. 16, 2018
Application Deadline: May. 15, 2018
Lay-Up Youth Basketball
Lay-Up is a charitable organization (BN:77709 6124 RR0001) whose mission is to equip youth with the confidence and life skills to be community leaders of tomorrow. Since 2013, Lay-Up has been running FREE leadership basketball programs in Toronto’s priority communities. We use high quality basketball training as a platform to deliver meaningful, customized off the court programming that will equip and inspire youth to overcome barriers in academia, life skills development and healthy living. We give our participants an equal opportunity to develop as basketball players, and more importantly, as people. To date, we have provided programming for over 1,200 youth and over 400 in 2017 alone. Over the coming years, Lay-Up will be expanding to provide programs to every priority community in need across the GTA. To facilitate our program, we work closely with our partners at Basketball World Toronto, MLSE Foundation, Jumpstart and Ontario Basketball Association.
Please refer to Lay-Up’s website (www.layup.ca) & Facebook page (facebook.com/LayUpBasketball) for more details.
The Program Manager is a first of its kind role necessitated by Lay-Up’s continued and future expansion. The Program Manager will be responsible for leading internal functions and processes to support Lay-Up’s programs. As a true agent of Lay-Up, the Program Manager must be flexible, hardworking and willing to do whatever needs be done to meet organizational goals and priorities. In working for a socially oriented charity, the Program Manager should have a deep belief in the power of sport for development and enthusiasm for our mission of “empowering community leaders of tomorrow”.
Operations: Provide back-end program support by maintaining policies and regulations, managing data and inventory, developing program budgets, coordinating apparel and equipment purchases, managing vendor relations, updating digital platforms, paying staff and other administrative requirements.
Program Management: Oversee and guide coordinators and part-time staff, attend programs to ensure quality and structure, manage basketball and off the court curriculums using certified methods, coordinate food logistics, act as a centralized point of contact for all stakeholders, design surveys and measurement techniques that evaluate effectiveness of staff and programs.
Partnerships: Manage relationship with all programming partners including Basketball World Toronto and off the court agencies by creating strategies around program content, scheduling, staffing and more.
HR: Lead the hiring process for all programming staff by creating job descriptions, recruiting, screening, interviewing, onboarding and training.
Community Development: Oversee and support the execution of Lay-Up’s community engagement and registration strategies by managing marketing materials, participant and community databases, community appearances, registration events and initiatives, digital and call campaigns and post-registration communication process.
Organizational Support: As a member of the management team, support executive and Board of Director level requirements by attending meetings and carrying out ad hoc tasks and analysis.
Skills & Requirements:
- Customer service oriented and a positive brand ambassador across interactions with all Lay-Up stakeholders
- A willing leader that embraces opportunities to support the growth of staff, colleagues and the company
- NCCP “Train to Train” certification
- High-Five Certified (exact certifications are flexible based on the candidate’s other experience)
- Access to a car is preferred; ability to get to different areas of the GTA is a necessity
- Experience in program design and evaluation techniques, reporting, policy and regulatory frameworks, and research tools
- Experience planning and coaching house league, skill development programs, and other non-competitive settings for children ages 6-14
- Highly proficient in Microsoft Office (Outlook, Word, Excel), and ability to pick up new software and tools
- Proven track record of working with partners and an ability to grow and build relationships
- Reliable, punctual, hardworking, and a motivated self-starter with an insatiable curiosity and willingness to learn for the sake of learning
- Strong attention to detail, highly organized, good problem-solving skills and a natural tendency to do something as well as it can be possibly done
- Genuine kindness, thoughtfulness and a sense that the glass is always at least half full
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills and a willingness to apply them to build relationships with different stakeholders
- Soft skills and emotional intelligence necessary to be a part of a management team
- An understanding of what makes you tick and a natural inclination to be accountable for doing the right thing with honesty and superb judgment
- An effective manager of time and an ability to prioritize work according to organizational importance
- Value the opinion of others; actively seek out feedback from team members and other stakeholders
- Provide feedback to team members often and in a conscientious and constructive manner
- Interested in meeting new people and speaking confidently in a small group setting
- Standard First aid and CPR certification
The Program Manager and Executive Director will jointly develop a rubric through which evaluations will be conducted. The Program Manager will meet with Lay-Up’s Executive Director monthly for a formal performance review. Over the first two months (May-June) of employment, the Program Manager will shadow Lay-Up’s Executive Director. Ongoing training and feedback will be provided daily.
- Networking: Lay-Up will facilitate 1 networking meeting a month outside the direct scope of work of the position (many networking opportunities also available within the direct scope of work)
- Training and Development: Lay-Up will provide $2,000 per year directed towards (relevant) personal development of the Program Manager (all expenses must be approved by Executive Director).
- Cell phone: to be provided
The Program Manager is expected to work 40 hours per week though this can fluctuate based on the time of year. As a member of the management team, the Program Manager is exempt from overtime.
This position has an annual salary. The salary will be based on the qualifications of the candidate.
For questions, please contact Max Daviau, Executive Director at email@example.com Applications will be accepted up until May 4th