Developing consistency in your trainingPosted on November 21, 2013
When we exercise, train, and eat properly, we do these things for our overall health or because we have a certain goal we want to achieve. Whether it be winning world titles or just losing several pounds, we are motivated to pursue a certain outcome. Perhaps the most important thing about achieving your goals is consistency.
Great athletes become great athletes because they are consistent in their training, diet and in their daily routine. They understand that to get the results they desire, they have to stick to a set of guidelines or a routine. Once they have achieved the desired results, they increase their training or adjust it according to their next goals.
A few tips to develop consistency:
- Seek simplicity- find a program you can stick with; once you start getting results you will end up loving it.
- Establish a routine – schedule your training session for the same time each day or each week.
- Get a coach or training partner – increases accountability, as it becomes harder to push the workout to another day.
- Get a training log – keep track of your workouts to show improvements from workout to workout. You can also take pictures of your physique and keep a diary to see your improvement.
- Allow for a day off – every now and then (once a week or once every two weeks), break your eating habits and training. Take a break and enjoy that chocolate bar.
We all have busy lives with our families, jobs and life obligations. However, sticking to a fitness program until you have achieved your desired outcomes will give you better results than jumping from one program to the next. Being consistent with a training or exercise regime allows you to love what you are doing and enables you to improve to the next level, or to reach for your goal.