Sport Information & Marketing Co-ordinator - Durham College/UOIT Athletics
Post date: Jun. 9, 2018
Application Deadline: Jun. 15, 2018
Position Start Date: Jul. 7, 2018
Durham College is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes applications from qualified individuals, including members of visible minorities, Aboriginal peoples and persons with disabilities.
Sports Information & Marketing Co-ordinator (SID) COMPETITION NO. SS18-35
SUPPORT STAFF POSITION OPPORTUNITY NEW POSITION () FULL TIME (X)
REPLACEMENT (X) PART TIME () TEMPORARY ()
Salary: Starting Rate: $28.71; Four Year Rate: $33.28
Hours: 35 hours per week (1) one hour lunch; Mon – Fri (8:30 am – 4:30 pm)
Reporting To: Director of Athletics Campus Location: Oshawa, Ontario, Canada
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The incumbent is accountable for the marketing, promotion and distribution of sports information for the programs of the Department of Athletics. The incumbent acts as liaison with the coaches and media for all varsity teams. They also liaise with the OCAA/OUA Conference office and the CCAA/CIS National office, student athletes, faculty, staff and the general public regarding information dealing with the different programs and activities of the Department of Athletics.
- Liaises with college/university, local and national media, OCAA/OUA Conference and CCAA/CIS national office, faculty, staff student athletes, alumni, professional and amateur sport organizations and the general public regarding sport information.
- Hosts provincial events - digital signage, advertising, event management,
- Trains and coordinates work-study students to assist in the Sport Information and Marketing Office annually.
- Maintains and provides consistent reports and updates, information and photos to incorporate into the department’s web sites, ICE, weekly report, MyCampus, provincial and national governing body websites and media outlets.
- Deals directly with Rogers TV production unit to broadcast sporting event approximately twice a month
- Engages daily with local media in an effort to promote athletic events and news from the Department of Athletics.
- Prepares daily athletic news releases to the media, campus community, and the community at large of the athletic accomplishments and competitions.
- Prepares weekly updates and produces an online newsletter.
- Liaises with coaches in the preparation of daily media releases.
- Liaises with the OCAA/OUA and CCAA/CIS Publicity Offices.
- Assists with special events .i.e. Hall of Fame, Academic Awards luncheon, Alumni events etc.
- Publishing athletics programs, schedules, media guides, brochures, posters, etc.
- Coordinates all communications, publications, printing and audio visual aspects of the Department’s events i.e. Athletic Banquets, Hall of Fame & Championships or All-Star Games.
- Coordinates photography/video production for publications and events
- Creates all graphic materials promoting and posting news and results to social media ie (Twitter, Instagram, Facebook etc)
- Organizes and coordinates media conference and media interviews with varsity athletics personnel.
- Contacts special events media and invites them to attend event if unable to attend incumbent fulfills their requests by gathering information for the story
- Liaises with student athletes, faculty and staff and the general public regarding information of the Department’s programs.
- Expands the Athletics programs into news markets.
- Promotes and hosts 140 home events, programs, scripts for announcers, and responsible for live streaming of home games on-line.
- Serves as a representative on executive committees such as Ontario Colleges Athletic Association - VP of Marketing, Ontario Colleges Committee on Campus Recreation – VP
- Marketing. Canadian Collegiate Athletic Association Marketing Committee and various internal committees for DC/UOIT.
- Plans and develops (in conjunction with the Director of Athletics) of a financially viable marketing approach for all the different properties of the Department.
- Plans and develops a viable marketing plan to promote and generate revenues for the Department through on-line store and sponsorships.
- Solicits advertising for athletics programs, publications, schedules etc. Selection and purchase of various advertising options for promotion.
- Implements a community program which involves getting community groups i.e. minor sports teams, choirs, girl guides etc. for a varsity sport and our student athletes to community events i.e. school is cool program (school assembly)
- Creates logos, artwork, designs, signage, advertisements for the Department of Athletics using InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator
- Co-ordinates and delivers Alumni/Varsity Homecoming events and alumni games. Liaises with Alumni offices on campus.
- Promotes department at Open Houses for DC and UOIT
1. Three year diploma/degree or equivalent in Sports Management with emphasis on Sports Marketing, Creative Advertising, Marketing or equivalent.
2. Additional requirements obtained by courses in Adobe Creative Suite, Final Cut Pro or equivalent video software and HTML knowledge.
3. Minimum three years’ experience in sport information, marketing and promotions.
4. Excellent oral and interpersonal skills when dealing with the public.
5. Superior writing ability, excellent organizational and problem solving skills.
6. Advanced computer skills with respect to design and creative publications and materials.
7. Demonstrated experience coordinating a sport event video and photography.
8. Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively with team members and independently.
Durham College provides accommodations to applicants with disabilities throughout our hiring process. If you require this information in alternate format; require communication supports; an accommodation in applying for a posting and/or if you are selected for an interview, please contact our Human Resources (HR) department and an HR assistant will work with you to meet your needs.
In person: Campus Corners building, 2069 Simcoe Street North, Oshawa, Ont.
Please apply below by submitting your cover letter and resume by e-mail to HumanResources@durhamcollege.ca. Applications will be accepted until 4:00 pm on June 15, 2018.
We thank you for your interest in employment with Durham College however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.