Performance Technical Director - Swim Alberta
Post date: May. 22, 2018
Application Deadline: Jun. 30, 2018
Position Start Date: Sep. 1, 2018
Swim Alberta is seeking the right individual with a demonstrated history of leadership and coaching success to join our organization as a Performance Technical Director. You are a recognized force in the field of sport, preferably swimming, with a capacity, skills and knowledge to bring an “Alberta First” vision and strong commitment to increasing performances in Alberta swimming. Through your strength in character you will create an engaging and inspiring environment for our athletes, clubs, programs and coaches to reach their full potential.
In addition to the successful attributes and characteristics outlined above, you have:
- Experience developing athletes and coaching at the senior international level
- Qualifications in the human performance field (Kinesiology, Physical Education, or Sport Sciences)
- Demonstrated history to mentor, inspire and provide leadership to both coaches and athletes.
- Strong understanding of the Canadian Sport for Life – Long Term Athlete Development Model or a strong understanding of athlete development theory and practice.
Your success will be measured by a commitment to two (2) Olympic cycles where swimming in Alberta will see a steady increase in athlete performance and a coaching cohort who is progressive in their skills and abilities. Provincial and Club programs will be challenged to excel at all levels and a noticeable uplift to current programming is in place. By the end of the first Olympic cycle you will have successfully implemented a sustainable high performance and performance development strategy for competitive swimming in Alberta with a focus that brings out the best of Alberta’s club structure. As a leader, you will be seen as both a challenger to create better performances in Alberta and an advocate for the needs of our athletes, coaches and clubs.
As the Performance Technical Director, you will be directly responsible for:
Mentoring and Leadership
- Inspire, mentor and provide technical knowledge to senior coaches in the province of Alberta.
- Work closely with and lead the Alberta Technical Program Committee to ensure the alignment of programs and services to the Swim Alberta Strategic Plan and Performance Strategy with an Alberta First philosophy.
- Attend all provincial championships as well as identified national championships/games.
- Liaise with Swimming Canada for alignment to national programs where possible and attending national meetings and programs as appropriate.
Program Development and Leadership – Performance Development and Performance Swimming
- Develop and Implementation of a Performance Development and High Performance Swimming Strategy that is aligned with the strategic plan of Swim Alberta supporting and aligning these programs with Swimming Canada National Teams and Development Teams where possible, including Open Water and Para-swimming.
- Implementation, monitoring and review of the Performance Club funding program, ensuring that the delivery of programs and services of the identified clubs align with funding requirements.
- Provide monitoring and review to the implementation of the High Performance Program Support Strategy (Short Term strategy to 2020) ensuring clubs are accountable for the funds spent and supporting clubs through gap and need analysis.
Provincial Technical Program Review System and Implementation
- Drive and lead a technical program review system to ensure the ongoing development, improvement and implementation of a comprehensive provincial curriculum ensuring provincial programs will achieve the performance objectives of the Swim Alberta strategic plan and the performance development and performance swimming strategy
- Oversight and leadership of the provincial performance development programs (tour teams, games teams and funding) including:
- Technical leadership, planning, administration and communication for all provincial activities: camps, tours, games, testing programs etc.
- Regular interaction and follow-up with all targeted Alberta Select athletes and their coach of record.
- Provide leadership to the provincial competition structure, including a review and implementation of development and club invitational competitions.
- Implementation of a measurement and evaluation system to monitor and track success and outcomes of provincial programs and funded athletes.
Swim Alberta is the governing body for competitive swimming in the province of Alberta. We embrace employees who value excellence, integrity, innovation and collaboration and who believe strongly in our vision that “every swimmer has the opportunity to reach their full potential” and our mandate of govern, lead and support competitive swimming. This position will require evening and weekend work, as well as extensive periods of focused work around the training/competition cycle. Although the work demands for this position are high there is a strong recognition that rest and rejuvenation is needed for success and this will be negotiated as appropriate. This position is not a hands on coaching role, but a performance technical role to lead and support the performances of coaches and athletes through their coaches.
Competitive salary and benefits package will commensurate with qualifications and experience.
Qualified applicants should submit a cover letter and resume to:
Cheryl Humphrey, Executive Director – Swim Alberta
This posting will remain open until a suitable candidate is found. While we thank all applicants for their interest only those selected for an interview will be contacted, beyond receiving acknowledgement of receipt of your application.