Race Director - CRS West - Canada Running Series West
Post date: Dec. 5, 2017
Application Deadline: Dec. 19, 2017
Position Start Date: Jan. 15, 2018
Reports to: President and Executive Committee
Direct Reports: CRS West Employees and Contractors
The CRS West Race Director is responsible for the overall business, management, marketing and fiscal strategy of the Canada Running Series (CRS) West events. The CRS West Race Director, works with the CRS Management Team, President and staff to ensure that all CRS West events are executed to the standards of the Company.
Responsibilities (including, but not limited to):
- Review financial statements, sales and activity reports, and other performance data to measure productivity and goal achievement and to determine areas needing cost reduction and program improvement.
- Establish and implement departmental goals, objectives and procedures with the executive members.
- Oversee the financial management of events.
- Set pricing for entry fees in accordance with budget guidelines and what the market will allow with final approval from Executive Committee.
- Responsible for the event plan creation and delivery, and all aspects required.
- In conjunction with the CRS West Operations Director, develop and maintain, positive, partnering relationships with key stakeholders (sponsors, athletes, venues, media, City, etc.).
- Oversee the development and implementation a marketing plan for the CRS West events. Work with the National Marketing Director to implement and customize for CRS West events and audiences.
- Develop and maintain the brand image, marketing collateral and community engagement. Including all digital and physical assets pertaining to the company.
- Supervise the development and production of promotional materials and sponsorship presentations.
- Responsible for the media and PR strategy and execution.
- Spokesperson for CRS West events with media and public presentations.
- Coordinate updates as required to the event websites (Wordpress) and the inherent SEO.
- Manage the Scotiabank relationship for the Vancouver Half Marathon & 5k, with support from the Event Director CRS East.
- Responsible for contracts and subsequent relationships with sponsors and suppliers originating from the west.
- Responsible for the fulfilment of sponsorship, contract obligations and partner development. Both physical and digital.
- Create and manage, CRS West charity programs.
- Manage all aspects of event Packet Pickup at the CRS West Events; including but not limited to: critical path, production schedule, venues, staffing, training, layout and supplies.
- Management of participant data, bib assignment and elite athlete programs.
- Oversee the management of participant relations in the West.
- Coordination and execution of all participant communications, customer service, social media interactions with the customer.
- Creation and distribution of post event reports, both internally and externally.
- Manage and supervise CRS West staff and contractors.
- Develop and maintain relationships with key volunteers, groups, captains and staff to execute the events.
- Protect the organization's value by keeping information confidential.
- Always maintain professionalism, tact, diplomacy, and sensitivity to portray the company in a positive manner.
- 7+ Years Experience in Event Management in an upper management or Executive role.
- Minimum Bachelor's degree in an appropriate field, e.g. accounting, marketing, finance, business administration or economics.
- Excellent understanding of sales, finance and management.
- Proven record for performance with set goals.
- Excellent oral, written & listening skills.
- Judgment and decision-making skills with ability to consider the relative costs and benefits of potential actions and choose the appropriate path.
- Ability to identify measures of performance and actions needed to improve or correct performance.
- Efficient knowledge of word processing software, spreadsheet software, e-mail software and use of the Internet. Knowledge of Wordpress and Adobe Suite.
- Well-spoken and have the ability to speak clearly and confidently in all business settings.
- Ability to read, understand and calculate banking figures such as; discounts, interest rates, percentages and commission etc.
- Ability to delegate, set expectations and monitor progress of all direct reports
- Motivate, inspire, provide and accept feedback to and from employees.
- Possess prioritization skills necessary to use time effectively and set action plans to achieve business targets.
Availability and willingness to travel and work in a race day role at other Canada Running Series events.
2018 CRS West Events:
Scotiabank Vancouver Half Marathon – Sunday, June 24th, 2018
Western 10k – event, city & date TBC 2018
Under Armour Eastside 10k – Saturday, September 15th, 2018
2018 CRS East Event (race week role):
Waterfront 10k – lululemon – Toronto – Saturday, June 16th, 2018
Scotiabank Toronto Waterfront Marathon – Sunday, October 21st, 2018