Sales Manager, Sport & Culture - Tourism Calgary
Post date: Dec. 19, 2017
Application Deadline: Jan. 10, 2018
JOB DESCRIPTION – Sales Manager, Sport & Culture
Tourism Calgary is Calgary’s destination marketing organization. Representing the tourism industry, and more than 620 partners, we bring the world to Calgary and Calgary to the world for leisure travel, and sport, culture and major events. Tourism in Calgary annually contributes over $1.7 billion in economic impact to the local community. Operating as a not-for-profit organization, we are the authoritative source for tourism related knowledge, information and services in Calgary.
The Sales Manager, Sport & Culture reports to the Senior Manager, Sport, Culture & Major Events and is charged with the primary responsibility of facilitating qualified leads and converting them to definite business through prospecting, targeting and completing host city agreements with event rights holders. The sales department wins bids for and attracts sport and cultural events which produce incremental economic and social benefits for tourism, sport, culture and community. The Sales Manager, Sport & Culture will support the development and coordination of working bid committees and the corresponding submission of application documents. Building strong relationships with clients, colleagues, and event stakeholders will be instrumental to the success of this position.
- Generate qualified sport and cultural event leads and convert them to definite business, achieving targets for the market segment in contracted events and hotel room nights
- Lead the development and execution of event bid programs through the coordination of working bid committees
- Provide writing support in the creation, editing and proofreading of materials for the department as needed
- Represent the department at annual sport tourism conferences, marketplaces and additional sales related travel as directed
- Enhance Calgary’s event capacity through working directly with local champions to develop bid programs. Requirements include the creation of bid documents, site inspections, sourcing of accommodations and facilities, and knowledge of funding opportunities
- Keep informed of the competitive national landscape in terms of sales, business-to-business marketing, and trends in sport tourism
- Be an ambassador at Tourism Calgary events and various other client functions for the purpose of business development
- Collaborate within the department and Tourism Calgary to achieve the goals and objectives of the organization
- Other duties as assigned by the Senior Manager, Sport, Culture & Major Events
- Post-Secondary education in Tourism, Business or equivalent
- Experience in sport tourism, the event industry and/or hospitality will be considered an asset
- Excellent creative, strategic and problem-solving aptitude with the ability to work well independently or as a member of a team or group
- Strong time and project management expertise with an ability to prioritize, meet, and maintain deadlines
- Proficient at written and verbal communication with an acute attention to detail
- Must be computer literate; strong knowledge of database management and Microsoft Office
Reply in confidence with a cover letter and resume by January 10, 2018.
Please provide 3 references.
Please note: only those selected for an interview will be contacted.