Manager, Event Hosting - Tourism Calgary
Post date: Dec. 19, 2017
Application Deadline: Jan. 5, 2018
JOB DESCRIPTION – Manager, Event Hosting
Tourism Calgary is a research-based, market-driven and industry-led organization that has specialized in the marketing and promotion of Calgary and area as the destination of choice for leisure and business travel for more than 50 years. Leading Calgary’s tourism efforts domestically, nationally and internationally. Tourism Calgary works with major sporting and cultural events, tour operators and travel media. Tourism in Calgary annually contributes over $1.6 billion in visitor spending to the local community and employs 1 in 10 working Calgarians.
The Manager, Event Hosting reports to the Executive Director of Sport, Culture and Major Events and works closely with the Coordinator, Sport, Culture & Major Events. The Manager, Event Hosting is charged with the primary responsibility of supporting the needs of event rights holders in relation to a portfolio of select events annually, while leveraging those events to ensure the delivery of targeted benefits. The Manager, Event Hosting will be the primary contact for all confirmed business secured by the sales unit within the department and responsible for the facilitation of marketing, servicing and communication support to the event rights holders. Building strong relationships with clients, colleagues, and event stakeholders will be instrumental to the success of this position.
- Lead or support projects and initiatives that will foster the capacity and growth of event tourism in Calgary.
- Lead the development and execution of an event hosting strategy to achieve incremental event attendance annually.
- Develop internal processes to support a portfolio of select events through engagement with marketing (campaign, social, content & earned media), communications and in-destination experience departments.
- Ensure the fulfilment of commitments made in the sales process through the delivery of rights and benefits outlined in host city agreements.
- Oversee the enhanced activation and promotion of select events annually.
- Collaborate with the Senior Manager, Sport, Culture & Major Events on business development initiatives for sport and cultural sectors to ensure success in both sales and event hosting.
- Represent the department at select annual tourism conferences, industry events and onsite at supported events.
- Provide operational and administrative assistance to Calgary’s major events advisory committee upon request, including research, report writing, board meeting assistance, and project management.
- Be an ambassador at Tourism Calgary events and other industry functions for the purpose of business development.
- Keep the sales team informed on opportunities to enhance bid submissions through knowledge gained during the event hosting phase.
- Provide mentoring and succession opportunities to the Coordinator, Sport, Culture & Major Events.
- Represent the department with Calgary Hotel Association Districts on special projects and initiatives.
- Other duties as assigned by Executive Director, Sport, Culture & Major Events.
- Post-Secondary education in Tourism, Business, Hospitality or equivalent
- Minimum 3 years’ experience in event hosting and/or conference management
- Excellent creative, strategic and problem-solving aptitude with the ability to work well independently or as a member of a team or group
- Strong time and project management expertise with an ability to prioritize, meet, and maintain deadlines
- Proficient in verbal and written communication with an acute attention to detail
- Must be computer literate; strong knowledge of database management and Microsoft Office
Reply in confidence with a cover letter and resume by January 5, 2018.