Team Ontario Assistant Chef de Mission - Team Ontario
Post date: Dec. 1, 2017
Application Deadline: Dec. 15, 2017
Team Ontario at 2019 Canada Winter Games
Red Deer Alberta – February 15th to March 3rd, 2019
The Ministry of Tourism, Culture and Sport is seeking an experienced volunteer to support Team Ontario’s participation in the 2019 Canada Winter Games. As the Assistant Chef de Mission you will act as second-in-command supporting Ontario’s athletes, coaches and managers to ensure that they have an experience of a lifetime at Canada’s premier multi-sport event.
The Assistant Chef de Mission will work over the next 18 months to ensure that all aspects of Team Ontario’s preparation are in place for a successful Games. This is an opportunity to play a lead role in Ontario’s sport development system. The successful candidate will be an effective leader that builds a strong team and allows athletes, coaches and managers to focus on their competition.
About Team Ontario
Team Ontario comes together as a group of approximately 350-450 athletes, coaches, managers, chaperones, support staff and mission staff from across the province to compete at the Canada Winter Games and the Canada Summer Games. The team is represented in all sports competing in the Games. The Canada Games are an important component of our sport system, and a key event in the development of Ontario's young athletes. The Canada Games provide athletes with an opportunity to compete in a multi-sport atmosphere and prepare them as the next generation of international competitors. Follow Team Ontario on Twitter, Instagram and Facebook: @GoTeamOntario.
About the Canada Games
The Canada Games are a national multi-sport competition with participation from every province and territory in Canada. The Games are held every two years, alternating between winter and summer. The amateur athletes that participate in the Games are some of each province and territory’s finest. The 2019 Canada Winter Games will be held February 15 to March 3 in Red Deer, bringing together approximately 3600 athletes, coaches, and managers from every province and territory to compete in 16 sports. Visit www.canadagames.ca.
About Games Ontario
Team Ontario is supported by the Ontario Government, through its Games Ontario program. This program delivers or supports multi-sport events, including the Ontario Winter and Summer Games for youth, the Ontario 55+ Summer and Winter Games, the Ontario Parasport Games, the 2017 North American Indigenous Games and the 2017 Invictus Games. Supporting Ontario sporting events is part of Game ON – The Ontario Government’s Sport Plan, which is encouraging as many people as possible to play organized sports, helping Ontario's high-performance athletes pursue excellence and promoting increased tourism and economic development.
The position will begin from the time of selection (December 2017) to the completion of all post Games responsibilities (May 2019). The Assistant Chef de Mission must be available for 21 days at the time of the Games, two Chef de Mission pre-Games meetings in Red Deer, AB as well as regular Mission Team meetings.
The Assistant Chef de Mission is solely and/or jointly responsible for the following:
Pre-Games (December 2017-February 2019)
- Attend all meetings and functions related to the 2017 Canada Summer Games which includes but is not limited to:
- 3 - 4 in person Team Ontario Mission Staff weekend planning meetings (dates TBD)
- 1 Coaches/Managers weekend planning meeting (November 2018)
- 2 Chef/A-Chef de Mission meetings in Red Deer, AB with the Host Society (February 13-16th, 2018 & October 9-12th, 2018)
- Mission Staff Conference Calls (monthly; dates/times TBD)
- Other meetings and training camps, as required
- Share duties with the Chef de Mission, with primary responsibility for specific components as agreed upon through discussions with the Chef
- Assist the Chef with the selection of the Core Leadership team
- Support the Chef in recruitment of Mission Staff
- Participate in Chef de Mission conference calls as organized by the Host Society
- Support the facilitation of Team Ontario Mission Staff meetings and conference calls
- Attend team training camps and meetings leading up to the Games
- Support Mission Staff to identify and resolve any issues related to their assigned sports or portfolios
Games Time (February 2019-March 2019)
- Attend Canada Winter Games from approximately February 11th, 2019-March 4th, 2019
- Attend daily Chef de Mission meetings with or on behalf of the Chef de Mission
- Coordinate and facilitate daily Team Ontario Mission Staff meetings providing necessary updates and important information
- Ensure effective and efficient working relationships between Mission Staff and Coaches/Managers which will provide an optimal competition environment
- Ensure Mission Staff are fulfilling their responsibilities with assigned sports and under their Core team portfolio
- Support Mission Staff to manage any emergency situations as they arise
- With the Chef de Mission, oversee all Team Ontario disciplinary procedures and issues
- Ensure support is provided for any sport specific protests as required
- Provide support to Team Ontario by attending competitions for all sports and all recognition events organized
- Ensure all Team Ontario policies and procedures are followed
Post-Games (March 2019-May 2019)
- Attend Canada Games Council post Games Chef de Mission debrief meeting (likely May 2019, Ottawa, ON)
- Assist the Chef de Mission with the following requirements:
- Finalize any outstanding issues with regard to discipline, appeals and/or dispute resolution
- Conduct post Games Core Team and Mission Staff debrief
- Assist with post Games evaluations for team members, Provincial and Multi-Sport Organizations and Mission Staff
- Assist with compiling a final report for submission to the Ministry that will contribute to program improvements
- Thorough knowledge of multi-sport Games at a provincial, national and/or international level
- Knowledge of the Canada Games Council and an understanding of the role Canada Games plays in developing athletes in Ontario’s sport system
- Demonstrated leader in the sport sector
- Ability to create a positive team environment that ensures a successful Games,
- Strong interpersonal and written/verbal communications skills
- Demonstrated ability to develop strong relationships and partnerships with key partners/stakeholders
- Varied and extensive experience as a volunteer with a strong commitment to the Games
- Strong spokesperson with experience in speaking to media
- Ability to communicate in both official languages is an asset
- Approved time away from employment to effectively deliver the complete role of Assistant Chef de Mission
NOTE: Successful candidate must complete Police Record Check and Vulnerable Sector Screening prior to starting in their role as Assistant Chef de Mission for Team Ontario.
Power of Decision
The Assistant Chef de Mission has sufficient authority to take measures that are necessary to carry out his/her duties in accordance with the position description. The Ministry of Tourism, Culture and Sport has final approval on all major operational and administrative matters. This is an opportunity to play a key role in Ontario’s sport development system and to help prepare our future international athletes and coaches.
Having the opportunity to lead Team Ontario as the Assistant Chef de Mission brings many benefits:
- enhance abilities/skills in decision making, leading, and developing others, and strategic direction
- opportunity to network with other professionals in the federal, provincial, and territorial sport sectors
- an unbelievable experience! The Canada Winter Games is a unique opportunity for people who love sport and have the desire to lead
Honoraria and Expenses
All expenses related to the positions including meetings, travel, and accommodation costs will be covered by the Ministry of Tourism, Culture and Sport under the Travel, Meal and Hospitality Directive. In addition, an honorarium will be provided to the Assistant Chef de Mission as recognition of his/her contribution to the Team Ontario Program.
How to Apply
If you are interested in being considered for this opportunity, please forward a resume and cover letter outlining related skills and experience by 12:00pm noon, on Friday December 15th, 2017 to:
Program Consultant, Games Unit
Sport, Recreation and Community Programs Division
Ministry of Tourism, Culture and Sport
It is the intention that interviews for this position will be held the week of December 18-22, 2017.
We thank all applicants for their interest but advise that only those selected for interviews will be contacted.