Coordinator, Sport - 2019 Canada Winter Games Host Society Red Deer
Post date: Nov. 9, 2017
Application Deadline: Nov. 22, 2017
TITLE: Coordinator, Sport
REPORTS TO: Manager, Sport
LOCATION: Red Deer, AB
CONTRACT TERM: Until March 15, 2019
SALARY LEVEL: $40,000 - $45,000/year, commensurate on education and experience
The 2019 Canada Winter Games Red Deer Host Society is looking to fill the position of Coordinator, Sport.
In less than two years, thousands of our country’s best and brightest will set their sights on Red Deer as we host the 2019 Canada Winter Games. Up to 3,600 participants from across Canada, 400 media, 500 VIPs, 500 officials and thousands of visitors will join us for the two-week event. Featuring 19 sports and a major arts and cultural festival, the 2019 Canada Games will be the largest event in Red Deer’s history.
The Coordinator, Sport is responsible for the sport program, ensuring sport venues meet or exceed requirements and are in the best playing condition possible, and developing a sport organizational structure that identifies roles and responsibilities ensuring effective and efficient Games.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
This role will be responsible for, but not limited to, the following:
- Assist with the planning and delivery of 19 national sporting events at 14 different venues
- Coordination of all test events in preparation for delivering the Games
- Assist in recruiting, training, scheduling, orientation and coordination of all volunteer resources required for sport operations
- Track volunteers and monitor training of all minor officials
- Plan for the care and comfort of all major officials from across Canada during the Games
- Identify and source sport equipment requirements
- Liaise and manage relationships with Sport Leaders and the Sport Committee to facilitate the organization and delivery of the Games
- Liaise with the National Sport Organizations, the Canada Games Council and Chefs de Mission to ensure all sport standards are being met
- Assist with sport venue operations, mission centre, pre-Games events and special projects
- Coordinate sport scoring and results processes and activities at the Results Centre and competition venues during the Games
- Assist and support the administrative functions of the division
REQUIRED SKILLS, EXPERIENCES AND ABILITIES
- An undergraduate degree or diploma in sport and recreation management, health and physical education, kinesiology and sport studies or other related fields.
- Two (2) or more years of progressively responsible experience in sport or recreation administration/management, experience working in a Provincial or National Sport Organization or other related experience. A combined equivalent of education and experience may be considered.
- Sound technical knowledge in a variety of sports
- Strong organizational, administration, planning and presentation skills
- Excellent communication skills, written and oral, in English is required and fluency in French is an asset
- Experience with Google’s G Suite programs, Gmail, Docs, Slides, Calendar, etc. (or equivalent Microsoft Office programs) is required
- Demonstrated ability to set priorities and manage multiple projects with attention to detail.
- Ability to work in a team environment with both staff and volunteers
- Knowledge and experience working in a not-for-profit, events, sports or multi-sport Games environment is an asset
- Formal office hours are Monday to Friday, 8 a.m. until 4:30 p.m.; however, flexibility will be required. This may include various evening/weekend committee work, varying workload/ deadlines, Games time requirements, etc.
- The 2019 Canada Games Host Society is an equal opportunity employer and believes diversity strengthens us as a workplace; we encourage all those qualified to apply.
- All applicants must be legally entitled to work in Canada.
- The successful candidate will be subject to a criminal record check and/or other background checks.
Closing date for this position is Wednesday, November 22, 2017.
Please forward your cover letter and résumé to the attention of:
Only those invited into the recruitment process will be contacted. Thank you.