Assistant General Manager - Spectra Venue Management
Post date: Oct. 5, 2017
Application Deadline: Nov. 10, 2017
ASSISTANT GENERAL MANAGER – MATTAMY ATHLETIC CENTRE (Toronto, ON)
Company: SPECTRA VENUE MANAGEMENT
Type: Full-time, Salaried
Immediate Supervisor: General Manager
Job Summary: Spectra Venue Management is currently seeking a permanent full-time Assistant General Manager for the Mattamy Athletic Centre which is a multipurpose sports and entertainment facility that is the home of Ryerson Athletics. The facility consists of an arena that seats approximately 2,700 for hockey and ice events, and 3,500 for stage events. There is also a double gymnasium that can accommodate 1,000 spectators, several meeting room spaces, and a fitness and high performance centre. Reporting to the General Manager, the Assistant General Manager will be responsible for planning, directing and managing the day-to-day operations of the facility including event services, housekeeping, maintenance, systems engineering, and safety and security.
Job Functions / Areas of Responsibility
- Direct and manage the day-to-day functions of event services, operations, housekeeping, and maintenance.
- Assist the General Manager in the development and administration of the facility’s operating and capital budgets.
- Work with staff in the management of their various departmental disciplines, review and evaluate processes and results, and identify and resolve deficiencies and challenges.
- Develop and direct the preparation of comprehensive reports and operational policies.
- Represent the venue as needed on various governmental, building, and university committees.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with staff, facility users, and representatives from Ryerson University.
- Oversee daily operation and maintenance of the arena and all systems including HVAC, sound, lighting, ice making, fire protection, life safety, workplace safety, and communications.
- Administer labour group contracts (Stagehands).
- Responsible for operation and maintenance of ice surface and gym floor.
- Oversee the operation of event set-ups and tear-downs, i.e. basketball floor, stage risers, chairs, signs, hockey glass, dasher boards, ice deck, etc.
- Administer and negotiate contracts with outside vendors including pest control, production, life safety, HVAC, elevators, and event cleaning.
- Act as liaison with the City for numerous facility related functions (City Codes, Parking, Licenses, permits, etc.).
- Responsible for Health & Safety, AODA, fire and building code compliance.
- Minimum 5 years’ experience of increasing responsibility in public assembly facility operations management.
- Minimum 3 years of direct supervisory experience at the Manager/Supervisor level.
- Bachelor’s Degree or better from an accredited college or university in business administration, management, engineering, or a related field (Other combinations of experience and education that meet these requirements may be substituted).
- Experience employing modern management methods, long range planning, principles of budgeting, and leadership skills.
- Strong knowledge of event services, safety and security, facility maintenance and housekeeping, operational policies, conversions, and production.
- Experience dealing with contractors and knowledge of building maintenance systems.
- Experience in contract implementation, including facility use license agreements, technical riders, service agreements, and event management.
- Excellent customer service skills and client management skills.
- Familiarity with Health and Safety regulations, Building and Fire Codes, AODA, and other employment regulations.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to work beyond normal business hours.
If interested in this position, please apply directly at:
Note: When you apply for this job online, you will be required to answer the following questions:
1. YES/NO: Are you legally entitled to work in Canada?
2. YES/NO: Do you have 3+ years of experience at a management level working in a sports facility, convention center, performing arts facility or other multi-purpose public assembly facility?
3. To be considered, please list your salary expectations.
To apply, please visit: https://careers-comcastspectacor.icims.com/jobs/2938/assistant-general-manager/job?mode=view