Communications Coordinator - Wheelchair Basketball Canada
Post date: Oct. 10, 2017
Application Deadline: Oct. 20, 2017
Wheelchair Basketball Canada (WBC) has an immediate opening for a dynamic, organized, and detail-oriented team player with strong communication and interpersonal skills to assist the organization in the area of communications and marketing in the full-time position of Communications Coordinator.
The Communications Coordinator is responsible for providing support in the development and implementation of comprehensive communications and marketing plans and initiatives that support the strategic objectives of WBC.
The successful candidate will contribute to a world-leading amateur sport organization. A solid background in communications, marketing and/or journalism, and a passion for sport are a must.
The Communications Coordinator will report to the Communications and Marketing Manager.
- Support the development, implementation and evaluation of innovative communications and marketing plans and initiatives that focus on enhancing relationships with key internal and external audiences, increasing sport awareness and strengthening the WBC brand;
- Produce, manage and update content for the WBC website and monthly e-newsletter;
- Develop and implement successful social media strategies and content, while maintaining social media and content calendars;
- Produce, share and monitor engaging content on WBC’s social media platforms;
- Assist with planning and execution of WBC events, such as international tournaments, domestic championships, and special events;
- Research, write and distribute media relations materials including media releases, key messages, media guides and media notes;
- Respond to media requests, assist with media outreach, maintain media contact lists and coordinate media monitoring efforts;
- Assist in the production of WBC publications, including annual reports and event programs;
- Track and compile National Team statistics;
- Provide specific administrative assistance to the Communications and Marketing Manager and the Executive Director as required;
- The Communications Coordinator shall also undertake other tasks, activities and responsibilities as he/she deems to be appropriate to fulfill the responsibilities of the position, and as agreed to by the Communications and Marketing Manager and Executive Director.
- All employees must be aware that as an employee of WBC, he/she is an ambassador of the organization to the WBC membership, and to the national and international sport community and must represent the organization in a professional and appropriate manner at all times.
- Post-secondary diploma or degree in journalism, communications, sports management, or a related discipline;
- 1-2 years of work experience in communications, marketing, journalism, or a related field;
- Experience working with a sports organization is considered an asset;
- Knowledge of CMS website maintenance and e-newsletter production are considered an asset;
- Thorough working knowledge of social media platforms and current trends;
- Experience developing and implementing successful social media strategies and content;
- Experience researching, writing, editing and producing content for online and print properties;
- Knowledge of Adobe InDesign, Photoshop, or Premiere are considered an asset;
- Photography experience and knowledge of photo editing are considered an asset;
- Videography experience and knowledge of video editing are considered an asset;
- Proficiency with computers, technology, Microsoft Office, and the internet are required;
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills;
- Excellent organizational, interpersonal, time management, and problem solving skills;
- Ability to take direction and multi-task in a fast-paced environment;
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team;
- Creative self-starter with flexibility and initiative;
- Fluency in both official languages is a definite asset;
- A passion for sport and knowledge of basketball are a must.
Terms of Contract
- Full-time position (40 hours per week);
- 12-month contract position with possibility of extension;
- Travel may be required;
- Located at the WBC national office in Ottawa.
The application deadline is Friday October 20, 2017. We thank all applicants who apply, but only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Please send your resume, cover letter and salary expectations to the attention of:
Communications and Marketing Manager
Wheelchair Basketball Canada
6 Antares Drive, Phase 1, Unit 8
Ottawa, Ontario K2E 8A9