YOG Young Reporters - Canadian Olympic Committee
Post date: Aug. 3, 2017
Application Deadline: Oct. 15, 2017
YOG Young Reporters
As part of the IOC “Young Reporters Programme”, the Canadian Olympic Committee (COC) is seeking an individual between the ages of 18 to 24 to fill the role of Young Reporters for the 3rd edition of the Youth Olympic Games (YOG) to be held in Buenos Aires, Argentina, October 6th – 18th 2018.
The vision of the YOG is to inspire young people to participate in sport, and adopt and live the Olympic values. Canada’s delegation of approximately 95 athletes from the ages of 15-18 will have the chance to participate in 241 events across 33 sport disciplines.
Unique to the YOG is the Learn & Share activities that offer free and easily accessible activities and workshops with the aim to inspire and empower the young athletes, equipping them with key skills to become true champions on and off the field of play. The athletes participate, but so do aspiring Young Reporters whose role will be to learn from Olympic media professionals and to be mentored in various aspects of sports reporting
3rd IOC YOG Young Reporters Programme
The Young Reporter is a passionate believer in the power of sport and Olympic values, who is willing to give back to sport and aspires to report on inspiring youth stories. Young Reporters are expected to be engaged and actively involved beyond Buenos Aires 2018 YOG. Therefore, Young Reporters must have the potential to volunteer their time and energy to continue to inspire sports reporting and the coverage of major events such as the Olympic Games.
DESCRIPTION OF THE PROGRAMME:
The IOC will bring 30 young reporters from five continents to the YOG. Young Reporters will be accredited as “E” press, have access to all the sports, work and train in the Main Press Centre with all other accredited media, and receive specialized and intensive media training from senior Olympic journalists. These individuals are nominated by their respective National Olympic Committee’s (NOC) and work with professional trainers and journalists throughout the YOG. The programme specializes in photography, writing, social media and broadcasting. The top 15 journalists from the YRP during the Buenos Aire YOG are invited to attend the next Winter YOG in Lausanne, Switzerland and apply their learning and experience.
As the scope of action of a Young Reporters lies in the fields of media, such as print reporting, news and sports photography, broadcast and social media, they will be required to take part and complete all modules of the programme. As their audience, will be essentially aged 15 to 18, they must have a strong interest in youth sport and outreach. These are the following requirements:
- Aged between 18 and 24 years of age (as of 30th September, 2018).
- Students of journalism at college or young professionals working as reporters.
- Full proficiency in English (written and spoken).
- Portfolio and references to complement application.
- Available to attend the full duration of training.
- October 15th, 2017 – Deadline for applications to the COC and beginning of interview process.
- November 1st, 2017 – Deadline for NOCs to nominate candidates (max 2) to their Continental Association.
- November 2nd-15th, 2017 – Continental Associations to review all applications and select two males and two female participants to represent their continent, with a limit of one Young Reporter per NOC.
- November 15th, 2017 – Deadline for Continental Associations to submit candidate applications to dossiers to the IOC.
- November 16th – December 10th, 2017 - IOC carries out the interview process with all applicants. The final decision on the suitability of nominated candidates remains with the IOC.
- December 12th, 2017 – IOC announces list of participants for the 3rd IOC Young Reporters Programme.
- February-March 2018 – IOC will liaise with Young Reporter for travel arrangements.
- September 30th, 2018 – Young Reporters arrive in Buenos Aires.
- October 19th, 2018 – Young Reporters depart Buenos Aires.
- The Young Reporter will be offered intensive class and field-training in written, photographic, television, radio and new media reporting of sport throughout the YOG.
- Coursework will be included in these fields while also working in mixed zones and at press conferences, and coverage of the YOG Culture and Education Programme.
- Appropriate time will be allocated for Young Reporters specific area of interest.
- The course will be in English only.
- All essential equipment such as photographic equipment, computer and audio recorders will be provided by the IOC.
- The Young Reporters will be staying as a team. Staying with their NOC or private accommodations will not be allowed.
- Training will be located in the Main Press Centre (MPC).
- All Young Reporters will receive feedback on their work and an IOC Certificate of Participation on completion.
The costs of flights, twin-share hotel accommodation all meals are included, and all equipment will be provided by the International Olympic Committee for the duration of the Games.
The Canadian Olympic Committee is accepting applications for the position of Young Reporters until October 15th, 2017. Applications should be submitted here.