Executive Director - Kidsport Edmonton
Post date: May. 18, 2017
Application Deadline: Jun. 30, 2017
ABOUT KIDSPORT EDMONTON
KidSport believes that no child should be left on the sidelines and all should be given the opportunity to experience the positive benefits of organized sports. KidSport provides support to children in order to remove financial barriers that prevent them from playing organized sport.
KidSport achieves this by:
- Raising funds to provide sport opportunities for kids facing financial barriers.
- Promoting the KidSport mission to other community agencies with a view to creating strategic alliances to support sport participation and physical activity opportunities for kids.
- Advocating the importance of all kids having access to sport programs and advocate the value and benefit of kids playing sport in the pursuit of lifelong health and wellness.
They believe that through participation in organized sport activities, kids learn the values of:
- Team play and friendship
- Commitment to goals
- Personal excellence and leadership
- Healthy competition
Thanks to the support of generous donors and partners, in 2016 KidSport Edmonton helped 2,645 kids across 41 different sports and distributed more than $450,000 towards sport registration fees. The need for KidSport is greater than ever.
To learn more, visit their website: http://www.kidsportcanada.ca/alberta/edmonton/
The Executive Director (ED) will manage the continued growth of KidSport Edmonton as a community agency, while providing day to day leadership to KidSport staff. The ED will oversee the renewal of the organization’s strategy and vision, be responsible for the day to day operation of the charity and for the development and execution of a multiyear fund development strategy.
This position is accountable and reports directly to the KidSport Edmonton Board of Directors via the Chair. This role is earmarked at 1.0 FTE based on a 37.5 hour work week.
Evaluation to be completed on an annual basis by a Committee of individuals from the Board of Directors or by the Board Chair.
FUND DEVELOPMENT, PARTNERSHIPS, EXTERNAL RELATIONS AND RELATIONSHIP MANAGEMENT AND ADVOCACY (50%):
- Identifies, researches and implements fundraising and fund development opportunities (Donors, Events, Partners, etc.)
- Participates in networking and community relations activities on behalf of the organization
- Builds strong working relationships with stakeholders, both inside and outside the organization
- Acts as an advocate for the organization and its program in the community
- Promotes community awareness of the organization’s mission and informs the community of the activities and direction of the organization. Communicates with key stakeholders to identify the changing needs and conditions of the community that is served by the organization
- Relationship Management includes the following groups/individuals:
- Internal: KidSport Edmonton Board of Directors; KidSport Edmonton employees; volunteers at large
- External: KidSport Alberta provincial staff; corporate partners; donors; partner organizations; other accredited local and provincial KidSport chapters; government agencies; Kidsport recipient families and other potential stakeholders.
PROGRAM AND FINANCIAL MANAGEMENT AND OPERATIONS (25%):
- Administers the day-to-day operations of the organization.
- Oversees and facilitates the research, planning, development, implementation and evaluation of new programs and services
- Program coordination for existing KidSport programs
- Ensures a system is in place to focus, prioritize, evaluate, and judge funding programs/applications to fulfilling the mission of KidSport
- Sets specific program and/or project goals and outcomes
- Identifies the required resources to achieve the goals
- Conducts both an internal and external environmental scan to identify emerging issues that affect KidSport programs
- Develops initiatives that work towards the mission of KidSport, within the policy guidelines set by the Board
- Implements the Board’s policies for the allocation and distribution of resources
- Oversees the management of annual operating budget of $600,000 - $1,000,000
- Develop financial strategies to ensure the long-term financial well-being and sustainability of KidSport Edmonton
- Directs the day-to-to activities of the Manager and Programs, Communications and Marketing Manager
- Hires, supervises, evaluates, trains and motivates staff
- Sets clear, results-oriented goals with realistic and measurable outcomes for staff
- Provides regular, appropriate and constructive feedback.
- Prepares and conducts reviews and evaluations
STRATEGIC PLANNING, POLICY DEVELOPMENT, BOARD RELATIONS AND REPORTING, COMMUNCIATIONS (25%):
- Assists the Board to establish its strategic agenda for the short and long term. This includes the development of on-going strategies and new initiatives for long-term development and sustainability
- Develops and implement strategies so the KidSport Edmonton mission is achieved
- Identifies the required resources to achieve the goals
- Considers the impact of alternative plans to address changing conditions and acts accordingly
- Report to the Board on the activities of the KidSport program and operations
- Develop, monitor, analyze, report and advise on positions of current issues for the Board of Directors’ and Executive Committee’s consideration
- Evaluate the structure, policies and practices of the organization on a regular basis and make recommendations to the Chair, Executive and Board
- Attend Board and Executive Meetings. Attend committee meetings when required.
- Evaluate needs of committees and report back to the Board of Directors.
- Conducts the implementation of policy as defined by KidSport Edmonton bylaws
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES & COMPETENCIES
- Leadership and management principles as they relate to non-profit/voluntary organizations Current challenges and opportunities relating to charitable/non-sector sector
- Computer literacy
- Fund development principles and practices Policy/Governance
- Financial Management Project Management
SKILLS AND ABILITY BASE:
- Strong communication skills (written and oral)
- Proven interpersonal and teamwork skills and ability Excellent organizational and multi-tasking skills
- Solid record of success in fundraising Proven fund development skills
- Customer-service orientation
- Supervisory and delegation skills
- Creative, confident and enthusiastic
- Fund Development: Understands fund development process, including: planning, development new partnerships, managing partnerships and grant applications
- Positive and Passionate Leadership Style: Effective in networking and communicating the value of KidSport Edmonton with donors, partners and youth serving agencies. Identifies and establishes collaborative initiatives with businesses and youth-serving agencies. Fosters Teamwork.
- “Big Picture” Thinker: Charts a path to growth and sets priorities among competing demands. Maintains balance between meeting current operations requirements and building for the future. Exercises good judgment.
- Effective Communicator: Possesses good oral and written communication skills. Provides critical information in a clear and timeless basis while exercising good judgment in managing sensitive issues.
- Business Management: Manages the operations of a small office. Develops and implements business plans, budgeting and partnership agreements. Has working knowledge of financial statements and associated principles and procedures. Evaluates progress and takes corrective action.
- Attuned to Families: Empathetic and appreciated of the world view of families KidSport supports
- University degree
- Minimum of 2-5 years of experience in a supervisory/leadership position
- Fundraising designation or Master’s degree in a related field considered an asset
- Valid driver’s license and access to a vehicle
- Relevant work experience
- Current criminal record check
FOR MORE INFORMATION, PLEASE CONTACT: