Team Lead, Client Services, Olympic Oval, Faculty of Kinesiology - University of Calgary
Post date: May. 12, 2017
Application Deadline: May. 25, 2017
The Olympic Oval in the Faculty of Kinesiology is currently seeking a Full-time Regular Team Lead, Client Services.
Reporting to the Manager, Olympic Oval (Guest Services & International Relations), the successful incumbent will manage and direct a team of up to 10 hourly and salaried union employees in the Guest Services department. This part-time position will be responsible for scheduling, supervision, training, leadership and performance management, discipline, full cycle recruitment and termination. The role of Team Lead Client Services includes complex and varied accountabilities, leadership and decision-making requirements. Interpersonal issues require diplomacy and strong communication skills, as the incumbent will be dealing with privileged and confidential information. Judgment requires discretionary decision with the guidance of the Manager, Olympic Oval (Guest Services and International Relations), and may impact both Olympic Oval and Faculty of Kinesiology operations and services, as well as services to high performance athletes. Flexibility in the work schedule, which will include evening and weekend hours, is required to meet the multiple demands of the position. The role has a very high work volume and stress level. During peak competition season, (October-March) volume of work increases substantially, and the incumbent must manage continuous change and shifting priorities.
Summary of Key Responsibilities (job functions include but are not limited to):
- Responsible for having a full working knowledge of all aspects of guest services offered at the Olympic Oval
- Responsible for full cycle recruitment and management of staff, discipline, learning and development, leadership, termination and succession planning.
- Ensures Guest Services staff receives relevant training and that knowledge transfer/cross training occurs in order to continually develop skills and information management across the team
- Works with Manager, Olympic Oval (Guest Services and International Relations) in managing time off requests; vacation, overtime and liability in accordance with the AUPE Collective Agreement and University of Calgary Policies and Procedures
- Responsible for dealing with confidential and sensitive matters pertaining to work related issues for the Guest Services team as well as confidential and sensitive athlete information
- Responsible for having a full working knowledge of University of Calgary and the Auditor General's cash handling requirements and works with Olympic Oval Finance Officer to ensure requirements are strictly adhered to
- Resolves highly complex tasks using independent judgment
- Works collaboratively within a team, initiating discussion to resolve issues or conflicts
- Implements and maintains improved policies and procedures as they relate to Guest Services
- Consults with Manager, Olympic Oval (Guest Services & International Relations) in ensuring and maintaining appropriate statistics, policies and procedures are recorded
- Ensures services being delivered for ALL user groups are of world class caliber and takes initiative in continually improving services
- Develops and maintains a positive working relationship with internal and external stakeholders
- Plan and executes seasonal strategic sessions for upcoming season in the Guest Services area
- Develops and maintains a positive working relationship with internal and external user groups and co-workers
Qualifications / Requirements:
- Post-secondary Degree/Diploma preferable in Business Management, or a related field; and three to five or more years of directly related management and administration experience, or an equivalent combination of education and experience
- Experience managing/supervising in a unionized environment an asset
- Previous experience in a high performance sporting and community recreation facility would be an asset
- Technical expertise and knowledge of complex University systems and processes is considered to be a strong asset
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills and the ability to lead, develop and direct others in a competent and professional manner is key
- Ability to remain calm in demanding situations and deal with resulting circumstances in a professional manner is a necessity
- Proven organizational skills with an ability to set priorities and complete multiple tasks within specified timelines in order to meet deadlines
- Demonstrated ability to take initiative and work both independently and as part of a team within a large, complex, dynamic and sophisticated organization
- Excellent oral and written communication skills to draft clear, concise correspondence, as well as to respond to inquiries with tact, confidentiality and discretion
- The position requires strong organizational skills and a high level of initiative, energy and enthusiasm
- Knowledge of PeopleSoft would be an asset
- Previous experience in a high performance sporting facility would be an asset
Application Deadline: May 25, 2017
We would like to thank all applicants in advance for submitting their resumes. Please note, only those candidates chosen to continue on through the selection process will be contacted.
This position is classified in the Management and Professional Staff Career Band, Management Level 1 of the Management and Professional Staff Career Framework.
To find out more about management and staff opportunities at the University of Calgary and all we have to offer, view our Management and Staff Careers website.