Senior Men’s Assistant Coach/ Manager – Youth Player Development (MYPD) - Canada Basketball
Post date: May. 10, 2017
Application Deadline: Jun. 16, 2017
Senior Men’s Assistant Coach/ Manager – Youth Player Development (MYPD)
Canada Basketball is the national sport governing body for amateur basketball in Canada. Located in Toronto, Canada Basketball is a not-for-profit organization whose mandate is to “Lead in the Promotion and Development of Basketball in Canada Through Programs and Services”
Located in Toronto. Reporting to the Executive Vice President/Assistant General Manager, the successful candidate’s primary mandate is to lead in the management of the Targeted Athlete Strategy (TAS), to ensure vertical integration throughout Canada Basketball’s, High Performance Pathway to Excellence. The SMNT assistant coach/ MYPD is a full-time position, and will work closely with the Men’s High Performance Coordinator, Youth National Team Head Coaches, Manager of Coaching Education and Development/Senior National Team Head Coaches.
Senior Men’s Assistant Coach/ Manager – Youth Player Development (MYPD) must possess the following attributes:
- A minimum of 5 years coaching, professional and international level teams.
- A minimum of 2 years coaching, a national team.
- A minimum of 10 years, playing professional basketball
- National team playing experience including Olympics games, World Championships, FIBA Qualifying tournaments.
- Knowledge and experience in dealing with high performance athletes and coaches at a national, professional and international level.
- A proven ability to provide athletes with skill acquisition, technical and tactical instruction, physical, mental and emotional development.
- Superior knowledge of the technical and tactical aspects of basketball and an awareness of the requirements of international play.
- Knowledge and experience developing tall athletes
- A proven ability to research, design and implement basketball development programs.
- A minimum of Train to Compete certification (International equivalency will be considered).
- Knowledge and experience of the Canadian Sport System and the international basketball environment.
- Knowledge in the area of short and long-term program planning including quadrennial planning and long-term athlete development.
- Excellent communication (written and verbal), motivation and team building skills.
- A self-starter with initiative and energy, who has ability to work as a member of a team of dedicated professionals in the pursuit of common goals.
- Excellent organizational, interpersonal as well as creative thinking skills.
- Administratively sound, detail oriented, and have experience in fiscal and budget management.
- Always present a professional and mature manner in dealing with members, sponsors and the public.
- Bilingualism is an asset.
- Assume responsibility for continuous updates and improvements to the TAS/JRA curriculum designed
- Identify, outline and integrate the main points of emphasis within the TAS curriculum for each TAS season.
- Ensure the sharing of all points of emphasis for the TAS program each season with the head coaches from each region.
- Monitor the content of curriculum delivery by each TAS Coach.
- Talent identification- manage and maintain talent ID and curriculum.
- Create big man development program within Tall Player Project
- Ensure CB presence at all provincial championship/ national championships/ AAU events.
- Responsible for family and coach communication, and player meetings
- Collaborate with Manager- Men’s high Performance on workshops.
- Designate talent scouts (alumni) from each province.
- Manage and oversee national and regional combines.
- Manage Coaching and athlete development for Bay Street Hoops program.
- Manage and identify athletes for junior academy (L2T/T2T).
- Assist with OTP Plan & Development
- Develop program standards across the TAS and Youth program, to ensure consistency.
- Monitor each program to ensure that standards are met, assisting those regions with shortages to meet the established standards.
- Provide provinces and scouts with “Gold Standard” for NT players.
- Responsible for performance eligibility, report card dates, and for checking in with guidance counselors.
- Represent MNTP at events, presentations, and material development.
- Manage technical and other performance benchmarks for the program and ensure the integration of the benchmarks in each region.
- Gather all physical testing results, analysis and prescription / direction in training methods.
- Ensure the testing results and analysis is integrated across the program nationally and vertically throughout the HP Pathway.
- Integrate use of available technological tools into the TAS program to enhance performance.
- Injury monitoring
- Responsible for all training regiments and diet for all TAS/JRA athletes
Year End Reporting
- Collect, review and evaluate the year-end report to Assistant General Manager/Executive Vice President
- Conduct and lead year end conference calls for each region.
- Make recommendations for future improvements to the program based on findings from reports and conference calls.
Canada Basketball Reporting
- Conduct regular reporting/debriefing sessions with CB staff to discuss and evaluate the progress of the program.
Nationally Identified Athletes
- Develop and maintain athlete portfolios for key identified athletes with the potential for recruitment into National Teams.
- Share portfolio information with Assistant General Manager/Executive Vice President, SNT HC and youth national team head coaches on a regular basis
- Involve regional TAS Head Coaches in the development of these portfolios for players within their respective region.
- Draft (in consultation with NT HC’s) personal development plans for nationally identified athletes.
- Recruit local coaches nationwide to assist and monitor each nationally identified athlete in their progress on their personal development plan.
- Monitor each athlete on their progress on a regular basis, making changes to each plan based on growth and improvements.
- Produce visual educational materials for distribution to TAS coaches (making use of footage from NT games and other international video available).
MNT Selection and Training Camps
- Attend and participate in MNT training camps that are scheduled during the term of this agreement
- Provide feedback and input to the MNT Head Coaches during the athlete identification and selection phases of Youth National Team development.
MNT National Team Coaching
- Must be available to assume a coaching role with one of the Men’s National Age-group teams.
Salary: 60,000.00 per year
Benefits: Health and dental benefits are provided
If you are interested in this opportunity, you are invited to submit your resume to:
Keli Carneiro KCarneiro@basketball.ca
This position is financially supported by the Sport Canada Branch of the Department of Canadian Heritage.
Canada Basketball is an equal opportunity employer.
We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those being considered will be contacted.