Coordinator - Financial Services - Curling Canada
Post date: Mar. 17, 2017
Application Deadline: Mar. 31, 2017
Position Start Date: May. 1, 2017
The Coordinator, Financial Services shall be responsible for performing accounting and financial functions as well as handling other special projects as assigned by the Comptroller.
Without limiting the generality of the foregoing in any way, specific duties shall include:
- Accounts payable function of the Association
- Review vendor bills against POs, and/or any supporting documentation to ensure invoicing is accurate and all necessary documentation has been attached.
- Review GL account coding, and tax breakdown to ensure supplier invoices have been applied to correct GL account codes and GST/HST rebates have been properly calculated.
- Record vendor bills in accounting system.
- Ensure all bills have been approved by the Comptroller prior to issuance of payments.
- Process vendor bills and apply any available payment discount. Hold or release payment where appropriate. This includes applying credit memos to outstanding invoices prior to payment being released. Process payment via cheque, EFT or Wire payment where appropriate.
- Maintain vendor information in accounting system, update vendor addresses where applicable
- Review monthly vendor statements to ensure accounts are up to date. Follow up on outstanding vendor bills to confirm whether or not invoices have been received, paid, etc. Where applicable obtain missing supplier invoices. Resolve late payment fees and issues.
- Maintain and create vendor banking information for wire deposits and EFT direct deposits.
- Expense reimbursements
- Review submitted expense reports to ensure amounts submitted are accurate, have been properly approved and reimbursements are inline with the Association’s financial policies and guidelines. Follow up with end user where necessary.
- Prepare and process payments for expense reports – including GL coding, and the calculation of GST/HST rebates and net expenses.
- Accounts receivable function of the Association
- Create receivable invoices in the accounting system and ensure these are distributed in a timely manner.
- Record all payments against receivables.
- Process credit card payments where necessary.
- Process credit card refunds where necessary
- Review aged accounts receivable and monitor the collection of receivables. Send out monthly statements and following-up on outstanding invoices.
- Maintain customer information in the accounting system, updating addresses and contacts where applicable.
- Bank entries
- Record all EFT direct deposits and wire payments
- Prepare general journal entries to record monthly bank charges and credit card processing charges
- Prepare bank deposits.
- Record all deposits, credit card/debit card deposits into the accounting system.
- Prepare monthly bank reconciliations and submit for review to Comptroller.
- Credit card entries
- Review and ensure proper documentation is received for all credit card charges. Following up with necessary staff/vendors to ensure all necessary documentation is found.
- Post all credit card charges and payments in accounting.
- Reconcile monthly credit card statements and submit all documentation along with statements for review to Comptroller.
- Assist in the preparation of year-end reports and schedules
- Assist in the preparation of year-end working papers
- Liaise with year-end auditors during course of audit work
- Review each event’s final ticket sales and settlement reports provided by third-party box offices against venue contracts and box office agreement and submit for approval to Comptroller. Once approved record settlement transaction in accounting system.
- Develop, manage and maintain cash and inventory controls related to each event’s volunteer-run bar and program sales offices. Ensure that volunteers and staff adhere to cash and inventory controls.
- Provide on-site training, management, supervision and support to volunteers at each event working in the event bar cash sales offices and program sales offices.
- Ensure proper controls and safeguards are in place to protect the Association’s cash, and non-cash assets (ie. Bar, program sales and token inventory controls).
- Assist volunteer program sales and bar directors by creating sample schedules for volunteers working under those functions.
- Arrange for the physical supply of banking equipment, tokens, POS machines, armoured car security and computer systems.
- Reconcile and record all program and token sales activities
- Train staff on accounting policies and procedures and the use of the online procurement and expense reporting system.
- Ensure the Association’s financial policies and procedures are upheld.
- Update and distribute internal procedure manuals.
- Provide ad-hoc financial information and analyses to Comptroller.
- Other special projects or duties as assigned by the Comptroller.
- Provide assistance to other accounting staff as required.
- Duties may be realigned to ensure proper control and segregation of duties.
- Act as backup for other members in the finance department.
- Diploma or University degree in accounting
- 5 years experience in related accounting environment; Non-Profit or Charity experience would be considered an asset
- Bilingualism is preferred
- Experience with computerized accounting systems (Simply Accounting and Quickbooks are assets)
- Strong knowledge of procurement management systems
- Experience with of computer programs such as Microsoft Word, FileMaker Pro and Excel
- Familiarity with MAC OS computer operating system an asset
- Familiarity with Google applications such as Gmail, Google Docs, Google Calendar an asset
- Ability to work independently in a team environment and actively contribute to a positive work environment
- Strict attention to detail and ability to meet strict deadlines
- Strong organization and time management skills
- Excellent communication skills
- Ability to travel (approximately 60 days per year primarily during the winter months - most of it continuously, including approximately 8 weekends)
- Ability to work overtime when necessary to meet deadlines
- Background check is required