Assistant Physiotherapist / Athletic Therapist - Rugby Canada
Post date: Mar. 9, 2016
Application Deadline: Mar. 21, 2016
Title: Assistant Physiotherapist/Athletic Therapist, National Senior Men’s 7’s Team
Type of Position: Full-Time (1 year contract)
Location: Canadian Rugby Centre of Excellence (COE) – Langford, British Columbia
Remuneration: $48,000.00 per annum
Start Date: April 1, 2016, or as close to that date as reasonably possible
Rugby Canada (RC) is the national sport organization committed to the domestic development and international success of Rugby for Canada.
OBJECTIVE OF ASSISTANT PHYSIOTHERAPIST/ATHLETIC THERAPIST, NATIONAL SENIOR MEN’S 7’s TEAM
The Assistant Therapist, National Senior Men’s 7’s (NSM7’s) Team has a primary role, under the guidance of the Men’s Lead Physiotherapist and Head Coach to ensure the optimum injury prevention, rehabilitation and availability of NSM7’s Team players to prepare and succeed on the World Stage (World Rugby World Series, Olympics, etc.).
ROLE OF ASSISTANT PHYSIOTHERAPIST/ATHLETIC THERAPIST, NATIONAL SENIOR MEN’S 7’s TEAM
To be a provider of professional therapy treatment to Rugby Canada NSM7’s Team players, having responsibility and accountability for the delivery of the therapy services to the team both at the Centre of Excellence (COE) and also, as directed by the Lead Physiotherapist and Head Coach, to ensure that the players’ risk of injury is minimized and their recovery and rehabilitation from injury is maximized.
CORE RESPONSIBILITIES AND PRIORITIES
The Assistant Physiotherapist/Athletic Therapist, NSM7’s Team will be responsible for performing the following roles and/or delivering the following outcomes:
- Delivery of therapy services to NSM7’s Team players.
- Large soft tissue focus providing sports massage daily as a support to the lead therapist for players training at the COE
- Daily Reporting to the IST and Lead Therapist/CMO
- Work as part of an integrated support team for the NSM7’s Team
1. Delivery of therapy services to NSM7’s Team based at the COE
- Act as resident therapist and attend all NSM7’s Team training sessions and camps, providing taping, and injury assessment, as needed. Other than when attending team training sessions, camps or tournaments, be available at the COE clinic Mon-Friday, and occasional weekends as required by the NSM7’s Team Head Coach and/or the High Performance Manager
- To provide Massage Recovery for each player on a daily basis
- Take responsibility and accountability for the delivery of therapy services to players including researching and planning for an innovative and best possible service delivery model, under the guidance of the Lead therapist, and ensuring a timetable is in place to cater for ebbs and flows whilst allowing for the delivery of a high quality service.
- Ensure players receive the highest standard of medical services, pre-habilitation and rehabilitation advice and support.
- Provide clinical assessment and treatment, including liaising with other support staff, to ensure that all injured Rugby Canada NSM7’s Team players are diagnosed and appropriately treated.
- Maintain comprehensive player records and documentation for ongoing injury surveillance study of the program
- To assist in the maintenance of the clinic environment, medical and therapy equipment and supplies at an appropriate level.
- Work as part of an integrated support team for the NSM7’s Team
- Ensure that the NSM7’s Lead therapist and service staff are briefed daily on the injury status of players In consultation with the NSM7’s team Strength and Conditioning staff,
- Ensure there is an aligned treatment and rehabilitation program for injured players
- Liaise with other Rugby Canada medical and fitness personnel, under the guidance of the head therapist to develop proactive programs to minimize the risk of injury
- Contribute to the overall goals of Rugby Canada including helping to drive a culture of excellence for the NSM7’s Team and the COE
3. Other Responsibilities
Attend key meetings as required by the Head Coach and/or the High Performance Manager. Maintain up to date player records, tracking medical, injury surveillance studies and recovery histories. Complete all administrative and compliance documentation as required by governing and or regulatory bodies, or as directed by the Lead Physiotherapist.
Keep abreast of advances in the industry and up to date with industry best practice.
HIGH PERFORMANCE TEAM and MEDICAL STRUCTURE
Reports to: Lead Physiotherapist and Head Coach
Number of Direct Reports: Any interns and student therapists engaged from time to time to work with the NSM7’s Team
Works closely with internal staff including: S&C Rehabilitation Specialist, Chief Medical Officer, Athletes, Head Coach(es) of the NSM7’s Team and other programs based at the COE, Assistant Coaches, Strength and Conditioning Coaches, National Team Managers.
Works closely with external partners including: External therapy and sports medicine providers and consultants, Pacific Institute of Sport Excellence personnel, Canadian Sports Centers, City Center Park.
Skills / Personal Attributes / Values
The Physiotherapist/Athletic Therapist, NSM7’s Team will be a person who has:
- An ability to work independently without supervision but in accordance with documented policy and procedure guidelines;
- A record of working as a team member, as well as a history of performing in situations that require self leadership and initiative;
- An ability to balance team / athletes needs and goals with those of Rugby Canada;
- A background that displays excellent stakeholder relations and workplace co-operation;
The Physiotherapist/Athletic Therapist, NSM7’s Team will ideally demonstrate a high level of Knowledge, Skills and Abilities in the following areas:
- Knowledge and/or experience of National / International sport that may have been gained from involvement within the game that has required the individual to understand the needs of athletes, coaches, performance environments, etc.;
- Excellent organizational and planning skills;
- Ability to work autonomously
- Service and result oriented;
- Computer literacy especially with internet, spreadsheets, word processing;
- Active in research/professional development
- Able to work in a fast-paced, diverse and dynamic environment
- Ability to function under pressure
- Demonstrates a very high level of professionalism and respect for confidentiality
EDUCATION and EXPERIENCE
The Physiotherapist/Athletic Therapist, NSM7’s Team has developed a foundation for this position through:
- Registered Therapist with, or eligible to register with, the College of Physical Therapists of BC or Certified Athletic Therapist with maintained status with the Canadian Athletic Therapy Association, and Full practicing insurance
- Post graduate course work or qualification in soft tissue therapy/massage techniques
- Orthopedic/Manual Therapy Post Graduate Certifications
- Acupuncture/Dry Needling/IMS desirable
- Experience as a practicing therapist working with athletes, and working with teams and in contact sports is desired
- Current First Aid, Red Cross First Responder Certification
- Certificate in Sport Physiotherapy (if applicable) or equivalent experience
GUIDELINES FOR APPLICANTS
This is a contract position based at the Canadian Rugby Centre of Excellence in Langford, BC. The applicant should be eligible to live and work in Canada. The appointed individual must be able to work during periods of extended hours including weekends and evenings, as required. A driver’s license and current passport are essential. The applicant is responsible for any immigration / Canadian work permit requirements.
HOW TO APPLY
Please send Applications in the form of a Cover Letter and CV via email not later than March 21, 2016 to:
Attn: Danielle Mah
Rugby Canada Men’s Program
Subject: Assistant Therapist Position
Closing Date: March 21, 2016
This position is supported by funding from Own The Podium and Sport Canada.