Manager, Media Relations - Canadian Olympic Committee
Post date: Dec. 16, 2014
Application Deadline: Jan. 5, 2015
Manager, Media Relations
Be a part of building and servicing a national brand. The Canadian Olympic Committee (COC) is a national, private, not-for-profit organization committed to high-performance sports excellence. We are the largest private supporter of high performance sport in Canada and we are responsible for all aspects of Canada’s involvement in the Olympic Movement, including participation in the Olympic and Pan American Games.
The COC is seeking two dynamic individuals to join its offices – one position is located in Toronto and another in Montreal. Both of these Manager, Media Relations positions will liaise with all relevant media outlets – local, national and international – to help plan and deliver COC’s Communications Strategy. Reporting to the Senior Manager, Media Relations, they are responsible for the day-to-day and long term planning and execution of the COC’s media relations and public relations.
Core Responsibilities and Priorities:
- Raise awareness and tell the story of the Canadian Olympic Committee. Help profile the athletes who compete at the games through earned media;
- Create and assist the development of strategic media relations plans;
- Serve as a media relations department liaison;
- Act as a Canadian Olympic Committee spokesperson when required;
- Expand the department’s media contact database and foster partnerships with the media;
- Create new partnerships with influencers, bloggers and non-traditional media outlets;
- Supervise, facilitate and execute media relations outreach for special events, programs and major initiatives;
- Provide constructive feedback on communications materials development;
- Deliver the official responses to media inquiries for the Pan American and the 2016 Rio Olympic Games;
- Help produce backgrounders, press releases, key messages and press kits;
- Manage and supervise COC-led media events;
- Support framing and development of main message points for better position to media interviews;
- Prepare with Senior Leadership a communication plan for strategic crisis communications;
- Prepare with Senior Leadership a communication plan for the Games periods;
- Liaise with and answer enquiries from media, individuals, and other organization, often via telephone and email;
- Be on call evenings and weekends as required.
Qualifications and Critical Skills:
- College diploma or University degree is required, preferably in a Communications or Public Relations related field;
- A minimum of 5 years’ experience in a Communications and Media Relations role;
- Bilingualism essential – proficiency in both English and French, written and spoken;
- Excellent organizational and time management skills with the ability to multitask;
- Ability to handle pressure;
- Creativity, imagination and initiative;
- Good teamwork, analytical and problem-solving skills;
- Knowledge in sports and sport environment is preferred;
- Proficiency in Excel, Word, Powerpoint, and common databases.
Competitive salary based on experience, excellent benefits package.
Please send all cover letters and resumes by January 5, 2015 to email@example.com citing the position title in the subject line. No telephone calls please. We thank all applicants for their interest; however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.